Error code 0x80070005

xania 14:15 23 Jan 2011

I am trying, as Administrator, with full priviledges, to set a batch file to run in Task Scheduler every week on my XP Pro SP3 system. Error message comes back

The new task has been created, but may not run because the account information could not be set. The specific error is 0x80070005. Try using the Task page browse button to locate the application.

A search of the Internet has come up with a number of options for this problem, but all trun out to be PC cleaners. This looks to be a con. I have tried 2 with the foillowing results:

ParetoLogic PC Health Advisor - runs a scan finding some 460 errors, but you then have to register - cost £20 - before you can do anything else. Now my PC seems to be running very well at present so what's going on? I was wondering about scare tactics so tried

ErrorTeck - runs a scan finding 1656 errors. More helpfully, it breaks these down for you as

12 Application Path
14 Shared Program files
35 Program Ids
109 Custom Controls
1210 Deep Regisrty Scan
0 Start-up Programs
3 Add Remove programs
0 File associations
4 Start menu shortcuts
202 Empty registry keys
4 Help File
63 Wondows fonts
0 Event sounds
0 Invalid shortcuts

Of course, you then have to register - cost $30 (for a one time fee only and you will never be re-billed - and you can "Extend my ErrorTeck™ license to 3 (three!) years for only $9.95 additional cost" - before you can do anything else. Really - what planet are they on.

Ok back to basics. I've tried this on 3 PC's and a laptop all with the same result. Is there a simple way to just solve THIS problem.

bremner 14:31 23 Jan 2011

Have you looked at the Logs at

Scheduled Tasks|Advanced|View Log

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:32 23 Jan 2011

Method 1
Grant the Cmd.exe program Read and Execute permissions for the user account that the batch job runs under. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. Locate and then right-click the Cmd.exe file. The Cmd.exe file is located in the %windir%\System32 folder.
3. Click Properties.
4. Click the Security tab.
5. Click Add.
6. In the Enter the object names to select box, type the user name that the batch job runs under, and then click OK two times.

Note When you add the user, the user is automatically granted Read and Execute permissions.
7. Click Yes when you are prompted to continue.

Back to the top
Method 2
Grant Read and Execute permissions for the Cmd.exe file to the Batch group. This permits all batch processes to run the command processor. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. Locate and then right-click the Cmd.exe file. The Cmd.exe file is located in the %windir%\System32 folder.
3. Click Properties.
4. Click the Security tab.
5. Click Add.
6. In the Enter the object names to select box, type Batch, and then click OK two times.
7. Click Yes when you are prompted to continue.

xania 15:47 23 Jan 2011

bremner

I have found this og but can find no mention of my batch file. What precisely am I looking for, please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Tried method 1 but only got to step 6 before it closed and this did not work so tried method 2 which also only got to step 6 before it closed. Do I need a reboot before trying again?

xania 16:02 23 Jan 2011

Treid again, but this time I entered a password 2 as requested and it is now working. Clearlky something that I did under Fruit Bat /\0/\
instructions has cleared the problem. Now for the other 2 PC's!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?