Error beeps for Asus P4P800-F (or any P4P800?

Catastrophe 16:00 12 Jan 2011

This has evolved from a previous thread but I believe, since that was more general and largely explained, that it would only complicate the issue to refer to it.

Whilst I have downloaded the manual for the P4P800-SE I cannot find reference to error codes. Googling ‘ASUS error codes’ has not yielded any specific help either yet.

I had one P4P800 giving blinking only without booting. Fitting new graphics card then yielded the 1 123456 beep. The first 1 is short but separate from the following which are short and in quick succession (maybe 7?). I fitted a new CPU and the board worked OK. It went right through start including showing all 3GB RAM and then stopped at instruction to fit bootable device, which was quite reasonable as no HDD was connected.

On screwing board into case the same beep error code returned. Taking out the memory changed the error code to three long beeps. Refitting memory and taking away graphics card made no difference to the 1 123456 beep code. Changing graphics card to another also known to be working made no difference.

I have several 478 CPUs, some costing as little as 1p plus postage but I am looking for suggestions before possibly spoiling any.

My question therefore is: is it possible that something is blowing the CPU and restarting the unknown beep signal? I have checked alternative power supply (using the one connected when out of the case and working correctly) with the same beep code resulting.

I believe the initial problem was caused by CPU failure as the CPU fan, when checked, was turning only very slowly. Obviously for the above the faulty fan has been replaced with a fully functioning fan.

Hence: 1. Any idea on the beep code, possibly relating to other boards if there is any standardisation of beep codes?
2. Can anything spoil a CPU in situ other than severe overheating?
3. Why did the board function OK out of the case but fail when inserted? (I did undo the screws and raise the board on tissue paper with no change in beep error.)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

:)

johndrew 16:35 12 Jan 2011

Googling your mother board (Asus) and expecting the BIOS to be found is not the correct thing to do. You need to Google the BIOS type (I think yours is AMI) which you can see on the BIOS screen which you have had acess to. So to find out beep codes for that you should Google "AMI beep codes" which would produce several hits including click here

To answer your questions:
1. Each BIOS has its own set of codes. The BIOS is used by the manufacturer of the motherboard therefore you can find the same BIOS on different manufactures boards.
2. Many things can damage A CPU. Most modern CPUs have over temperature protection but a faulty PSU could cause problems.
3. You could have a faulty PSU, short circuit, bad connection, faulty graphics board or any of a number of other problems. I should start by ensuring the mother board achieves BIOS boot in the case with nothing else connected to start with.

GaT7 16:48 12 Jan 2011

johndrew has confirmed what I've also been able to find regarding the BIOS. This is what I've been typing before his post:

"I fitted a new CPU and the board worked OK."

If you can get to this stage again, enter the BIOS & check the voltages. Another thing that can damage a CPU apart from overheat is excessive voltage. But if the CPU was getting damaged, the next time you booted you should be getting 5 beeps (see beep codes link below).

The reason it's not working inside the case is probably because of shorting.

It looks like the Asus P4P800 series motherboards have an AMI BIOS & these are its beep codes click here.

7 beeps has the following explanation: "The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry"

If it's a CPU socket motherboard problem (or any other motherboard-related problem), then I'm afraid only an experienced technician will be able to repair it - if repairable at all. G

Shuffty 16:50 12 Jan 2011

I have asus p4p800 deluxe
The quick setup guide troubleshooting section
gives
Award bios beep codes
one short beep when displaying logo = no error during post
Long beeps in an endlass loop = no system memory installed or detected
one long beep followed bythree short beeps = video graphic device not found or vodeo card video memory bad
high frequency beeps when system is working = System forced into low frquency (usually because of cpu overheat

Catastrophe 17:32 12 Jan 2011

johndrew

Many thanks for your valued coments.

"Googling your mother board (Asus) and expecting the BIOS to be found is not the correct thing to do. You need to Google the BIOS type (I think yours is AMI) which you can see on the BIOS screen which you have had acess to. So to find out beep codes for that you should Google "AMI beep codes" which would produce several hits including click here"

Yes, I have been Googling AMI subsequently and there are several possibilities, looking at 7 beeps.

"To answer your questions:
1. Each BIOS has its own set of codes. The BIOS is used by the manufacturer of the motherboard therefore you can find the same BIOS on different manufactures boards." Understood.

"2. Many things can damage A CPU. Most modern CPUs have over temperature protection but a faulty PSU could cause problems." The PSU in the case has seemed a little irregular but the other is new. Could possibly fit with being OK with new PSU, not working in case and this (?possibly?) causing it not to work with new PSU again? Of course I have limited possible faults IN SITU as the CPU has remained sealed on the board (after fitting, when it worked).

"3. You could have a faulty PSU, short circuit, bad connection, faulty graphics board or any of a number of other problems. I should start by ensuring the mother board achieves BIOS boot in the case with nothing else connected to start with."

Normally I had 8 desktops running. Having moved and reduced to 4, 2 of which are down at the moment, I am loathe to put the remaining 2 at risk. One is the essential 'contains all the data' pc and the other is my wife's doubling as only Internet link. Hence I am thinking twice about trying possibly damaged CPU in remaining two. Not being that knowledgable I may be fearing ghosts, which is why I am asking this question. When I get one of the others working I will try the CPU - if it has not been damaged that will be useful to know.

Thanks again for your comprehensive comments.

Catastrophe 17:51 12 Jan 2011

Shuffty

Thank you for your input. I think that the code is 7. It is not exactly seven equal beeps. It is NOT one long plus 6 short. It is all short but not equal. I think my description is accurate:
1 123456.

Catastrophe 18:14 12 Jan 2011

Crossbow7

Thank you for your input.

'7 beeps has the following explanation: "The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry"'

I think there are more complications to 7.

Without complicating the issue as per 'other' thread the question (which I have tried to boil down here) is between boards and CPUs assuming a working graphic card.

I have used several boards - I have put for binning boards which subsequently worked with a new CPU - I now have several eBay CPUs and graphics cards - the side issues seem very important to this scenario. Unreliable PSU - shorts - that is why I am focussing on one system and only changing variables in relation to that one system.

I stick with the board(s) as OK. Am I damaging the CPU? Main question. Can I transfer that to damage another board? I apologise if that is a silly question. I am just trying to preserve resources to solve the problem.

I sincerely hope that all your much appreciated effort will produce a classic 'HOW TO' in addressing similar problems.

Catastrophe 20:55 12 Jan 2011

I have just purchased a couple of inexpensive P$P800 systems including CPU and RAM so I will be able to put existing CPU into system and check for any damage. Likewise check RAM (3 x 1GB, 2 x 256 MB, 1 x 256 MB). Also check other CPUs and check backwards other PCI and AGP graphics cards along the way - unless of course - something blows up along the way.

Stil it should provide answers!

Catastrophe 12:26 13 Jan 2011

This has nothing to do with beeps so I have started a new thread.

Received this morning a board complete with fitted CPU and RAM. Bought on eBay as working. Tried out of the pc case and it started fine.

Fitted in the case and power pilot light flashed on front of pc presumably indicating no signal to monitor. Tried with 2 different AGP graphics cards and 2 PCI cards. Still flashing. Tried second PSU with different gs's. No change. Tried second monitor with its cable (not first cable). Still flashing. Reconnected second monitor and cable to its original pc - working fine.

Have I somehow managed to spoil the board or the processor? I have been at this for years and never had static or other damage. The board was resting on a wooden plank sitting on the pc (on its side). I have used this before without problem.

Any suggestions please?

Catastrophe 12:36 13 Jan 2011

Please ignore this. I started new thread as nothing to do with beeps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?