Error 769 - network card or port problem?

frogmuffin 11:45 23 Jan 2007

Hey guys,

I hope you will be able to help me, but I am not very knowledgeable with computers so if I'm missing out on something obvious, then please point it out.

So here is my problem: Since about a year I was using a cable internet connection from the in-built network card of my laptop. Since the day before yesterday I'm getting a 769 error when trying to connect to the Internet ("The specific destination is not reachable" and "Either you specified a destination address that is not valid, or your remote server is down").

The network card is enabled and the driver is updated, I have worked through the troubleshoot advise on the Microsoft support site. I haven't installed or done anything to the computer.

It is also not a cable or server problem, because I can connect to the internet from an external network card (using the free slot available on my laptop).

I am now trying to isolate where exactly the problem with the in-built network card lies. It is recognised by the laptop (listed in LAN, no crosses or yellow warnings in device manager).

Is there way I can find out whether the NIC itself or the port is faulty? Or any other ideas what could be wrong here?

vinnyT 12:26 23 Jan 2007

If you are using the same cable to connect with the external network card, then it points to the internal lan port being faulty. This is poss due to inserting/removing the cable, no matter how careful you are, this can cause damage over time.

If the LT in under warrenty, then you can try to get them to sort it, this would poss require a replacement mobo or maybe just re-attaching the port to the board. If you do decide to send it back for repair, then make sure you have a working backup of all your important files.

If this is not covered by warrenty, then it maybe better to stick to using the external network card.

I would suggest that you check that all the other ports are woking, but I think that you will be lucky, and it's just the lan port that is broken and the rest of the LT is fine.

Hope this helps.

frogmuffin 12:42 23 Jan 2007

VinnyT:

Yes I am using the same cable with the external network card.

The laptop is not under warranty anymore (I bought it in 2004) and it has already received a new motherboard half a year ago.

The laptop sits at the same spot all the time and I'm not removing the cable very often! Maybe once every three months or so when I take the laptop somewhere else and like I said, the motherboard is fairly new!

:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires