Error: 5.3.4. IE11

Furkin 13:45 29 Dec 2013

Hi all,

I have just tried to send two small emails from my home, private machine/account, to two separate people. One is on Hotmail, and one is on Live.co.uk.

The error message said that they - Outlook (although this account is Hotmail) have noticed some strange activity on my account, & temporarily blocked my account !

They want me to give them my mobile number - BUT I DON'T WANT TO !

I already get fed up with all & sundry sending me bits of carp at every hour of the day, that usually serves no purpose at all, apart from advertising products, services etc.

I have several accounts with MS-Hotmail & Outlook,,,,, so the last thing I want, is them filling my text messages with junk.

Can I get around this ?

Can I actually contact the department that does this ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you can help

& A Happy New Year to you all.

Ian in Northampton 14:00 29 Dec 2013

It sounds like a scam. Is your account now actually locked - or have 'they' just threatened to lock it? Do you know if the emails you sent were received?

Ian in Northampton 14:01 29 Dec 2013

Btw: where do I sign up for getting bits of carp? I enjoy fish, and if it's free... :-)

Furkin 09:07 30 Dec 2013

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply:

It does seem to be locked. The couple that I sent - unfortunately - were to a couple of 'acquaintances', who are not known for acting on messages very fast, if at all. I have sent a couple to my other addresses, but get the same message.

As I say, MS just want my moby to send junk to. I have several addresses from 2/3 email hosts. This is one of my Hotmail ones. The rest are alright - they send & receive as normal.

Whilst carrying out these tests, I also came across one with a message saying [para] “,,,,, connection to SMTP server smtp.mail.com timed out. Try later,,,,,,”, but I can't recall which address it was, nor replicate it. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Never eaten Carp - you ? I hear they have a 'soily' taste. I'd try it if it came my way. I live in Cornwall, so we have to make do with Mackerel, Sea Bass, Crab, Lobster, Plaice, fish fingers etc

Of course, I meant to say 'parc' !?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?