Error 404, OK I know its been aired before But---

User-324448 12:57 01 Jul 2006

I have fixed up a Netgear wireless broadband router between two Desktops (hard wired to it) and a Laptop connected via WG111v2 dongle thingy.
I have configured the lapy so that I can email on it and that part works fine, BUT when I try to use Internet Explorere I get a page saying unobtainable, Error 404, I have tried a few of the cures advertised as free downloads (saved to a memory device via the other computers) but they find 40 odd faults and ask for payment, I hope to only need this cure once so what advice / help can any of you offer me. Thanks in advance. Prof.

Stuartli 13:27 01 Jul 2006

Error 404 indicates several possibilities:

a broken or out-of-date link
the URL was typed incorrectly
the file has been removed

User-324448 13:48 01 Jul 2006

I cannot get connected even from clickng on known working before links from "my Favorites"
I have also tried typing in a known address on the little "Google" search feature that shos on the 404 page. wits end, is a good way of describing what I feel.

Forum Editor 14:50 01 Jul 2006

in our networking forum, so I'll move it across now.

ade.h 16:14 01 Jul 2006

(Deja vu bit coming up, LOL)

Have you configured your client (software) firewall to allow inbound and outbound internet/WAN traffic through the LAN, by specifying an IP range and adding it to the trusted zone? Some firewalls (try to) do this automatically, but you should always check. A good firewall will tend to prompt you for a rule to be created.

There are other potential causes, but we'll cover those next if it's still snafu.

User-324448 18:51 01 Jul 2006

sorry but you have lost me Im afraid, you will have to give me a far more simple explanation, my old brain does not understand very much of what you have said. prof. lost.

ade.h 22:00 01 Jul 2006

I'm afraid that's about as simple as it gets when working with firewalls and networks. I can't really put it much simpler without losing the meaning, but I'll try.

I'm assuming that you are a sensible sort of chap who has a 3rd-party (ie. from a software developer other than that which developed your operating system) software firewall on your client PCs. That's clients of the network, which is why it is often known as a client firewall purely to distinguish it from a host firewall (which will be on a router or a network server, either of which are hosts).

Such firewalls fall into two camps: those that prompt you for manual input whenever something new happens and those that just make an educated guess and allow or block the action accordingly. Said action need not be an internet connection; it could be LAN (Local Area Network) traffic from file sharing, a program launching another program or a program trying to make an outbound connection.

Either way, your firewall must have a permission that defines whether internet traffic is allowed through the LAN on that particular client. It usually needs to be marked as "trusted" or the rule may need to be placed in a "trusted" section. A range of IP addresses is usually required to cater for the dynamic IP assignment that is used by default in most networks.

This is served by a process called DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), whereby the router will assign an IP to each network client as and when that client is switched on and connected to the network. The IP is then released when that client is disconnected from the network.

I could go on (much) further, but I have covered the fundamentals.

User-324448 08:24 02 Jul 2006

Thanks ade,h you have gone to great lengths to explain what you think the cause may be and I am getting an understanding of it from your reply but in all honesty it tells me what the problem may be but not how to cure it, OK Im a bit thick or slow understanding the terms and phrases but I am getting there and I was a bloody good sparks before I retired so have some experience of fault finding and the patience it needed. Reading your letter agaiin points to me having to tell a firewall not to do its job for a brief moment, if thats correct I now have to find out How to tell it, Could I in fact turn of the firewalls (shock,horror) to prove a point?

ade.h 17:41 02 Jul 2006

It's not a case of telling the firewall not to do its job for a brief moment, as you say. Far from it. You need to configure your firewall - through the creation or modification of a permission or rule - to accept that WAN/Internet traffic that comes through the Local Area Network via your PC's network adapter is (relatively) safe and should be permitted.

The method used to achieve this varies with each firewall, so you will have to check your firewall's manual or help files. I can't provide specifics unless you happen to use a firewall that I have used in recent memory!

It is very important that you know how to use your firewall properly, otherwise you will fail to make use of its abilities and create problems with either functionality or security.

User-324448 08:51 03 Jul 2006

Well it looks to me like I have opened myself a big bag of worms, what it say's on the box"its simple and quick" has turned out to now become worrying, and I am not the worrying type, I will beat it though.What I cannot get to grips with is if I can send & recieve emails on the laptop why oh why cant I get onto the internet pages. I must go to our little libarary & see if the have any info I can understand. Prof (gibbering a bit)

ade.h 15:28 03 Jul 2006

Because e-mail and internet browsing are handled by two different programs. That suggests that your program permissions need tweaking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?