error 1605

garelli 11:15 17 Feb 2008

Hi,

I am running win 98se on a gateway desktop bought in 2000. I am not particularly I.T literate.
Recently, by accident I deleted my user profile. As a result my Belkin usb adapter would not work. I decided to remove it from add/remove programs and re-install. It didn’t work.

The messages I get, in order of appearance, each time I try to load the disc:-

Confirm uninstall; do you want to completely remove the software for the Belkin card and all of it’s features (ok or cancel) When I select o.k. I get the following message:-

Belkin Wireless Usb Utility set up is performing the requested operations. Within a second or two I get the following message:-

Feature transfer error; Error1605 The action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

The actions I have took to try to fix are as follows:-

1. Belkin Tech support - unresolved, awaiting call from “senior” technician
2. Gateway-wouldn’t help pc too old.
3. Downloaded windows installer v1 and v2 - no luck!
4. Downloaded windows installer clean up utility, but this does not show any belkin components
5. As result of web search (consumerinstallshield.com) tried to resolve thro DOS:-
At the MS-DOS prompt, type in the path, or location, of setup.exe along with the REINSTALLMODE property, e.g., PATH>\setup.exe /V"REINSTALLMODE="omus"
(The only thing here was I was unsure what path to take before running the command)
6. Considered buying another brand usb adapter to overcome problem.

I only bought the adapter from Curry’s on 23/12/07 and it was working perfectly until I deleted my user profile.

Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance

Taff™ 11:23 17 Feb 2008

Have you tried using the disk supplied with the adapter to uninstall and then reinstall?

MAJ 11:31 17 Feb 2008

Have you tried a Scanreg /restore. It might fix things, depending on if there is a 'restore point' prior to the problem occurring. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?