Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown...HELP!!!

buel 18:49 08 Jul 2011

Hi, my friend has a fortnight old new Acer laptop and suddenly he cannot get on the internet/Bring his homepage up using Google Chrome OR IE. On Google Chrome he gets this message:Error 101 (net::ERRCONNECTIONRESET): Unknown

He had Avast AND McAfee antivirus both running at the same time...i have run Malwarebytes and Spybot and Spy bot found a few entries but still the problem persists.

Note: Programs can update via wireless no problem but just no luck when it comes to bringing up a page.

Please can anyone help?

buel 19:15 08 Jul 2011

Hello, can anyone help please?

ams4127 19:23 08 Jul 2011

Uninstall either Avast or McAfee. Never run two antivirus programmes at the same time, they will cause conflicts.

From Command prompt run ipconfig /flushdns

Try loading webpage again. If not working

From Command prompt run ipconfig /registerdns

Command prompt must be run with administrator privileges

buel 19:40 08 Jul 2011

Thank you so much.

I will do just that after the Super AntiSpyware scan that is currently running. Just a question- apparently it came preinstalled with both those AntiVirus programs.....do you think is correct?

buel 19:46 08 Jul 2011

Hi, ok i did both but still no luck....although i must say that i dont know how to run it as administrator as i just went to 'run' and opened from there, i didn't see an option to run as administrator?

ams4127 20:06 08 Jul 2011

In IE go to TOOLS - Internet options - Advanced and press Reset

To run Command Prompt as Aministrator.....Right Click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

buel 21:52 08 Jul 2011

PHEEEW!! I made the mistake of doing the command prompts first....and the problem still persisted. BUT...when i uninstalled McAfee to leave Avast still running both IE and Chrome worked perfectly! Thank you so much Ams4127!!

Ps- Just one more thing- My friend insists that both McAfee and Avast were preinstalled on the laptop when he got it...does this seem a bit odd?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?