erratic startup

sprengolet 17:46 04 Mar 2006

My computer is behaving in a most erratic manner in as much as it will not boot up from cold until I switch the power button off - leave it for a couple of minutes - then it will usually boot. It will sometimes boot normally, but more often it behaves as above. I am running Windows XP.
Would very much appreciate any help. - thanks.

Diemmess 17:52 04 Mar 2006

At the times when it fails to run properly what actually happens, i.e. what shows on the screen when it stalls? It will help to know what stage is reached.

sprengolet 17:58 04 Mar 2006

Diemmess

Nothing shows on the screen, because as I said it will not boot up (except occasionally) The times it does boot normally it runs perfectly. Very strange is it not?
Thanks for your reply.

sprengolet 18:02 04 Mar 2006

Nothing shows on the screen, because as I said it will not boot up (except occasionally) The times it will boot normally it runs perfectly. Very strange is it not?
Thanks for your reply.

Diemmess 18:13 04 Mar 2006

Yes it does make a difference to know that absolutely nothing appears on the screen.

It rules out a corruption of Windows, and implicates a range of hardware failings.

For instance the power supply unit may be failing.
They don't often do so this way, they either go or won't go! This might be an exception!
The motherboard which governs the switching of the PSU maybe going wrong, again usually it does of it doesn't

If there are no Beeps or strange sounds it s probably not the video card...... so

Try disconnecting the power to all data drives, include the floppy drives and any CD drives, pull the plug on your BB modem if you have one and then switch on.

You should see the various DOS screens and eventually (because you have disconnected the HD you will get a boot error and it will stop.

If you get this far you will have ruled out bith PSU, Mobo, and Video card, so try reconnecting the others one at a time.

sprengolet 13:57 05 Mar 2006

DIEMMESS.

Very many thanks for your reply. Hope one of your ideas solves the problem. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?