Erratic Clock

RDG 15:44 09 Mar 2003

Using a ECS K7S5A mainboard for few months and suddenly the clock output has become totally erratic. Makes no difference if Computer is on or off clock will lose minutes or even the odd hour. Running Win XP Professional and wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem or any suggestions as to what to do other than change the mainboard?. Many Thanks. RDG.

AndySD 15:47 09 Mar 2003

Change the battery on the motherboard.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:48 09 Mar 2003

I have same board and have not had any probs , it may be the battery is gettin ready for changein.

Regards

AndySD 15:49 09 Mar 2003

Just a thought are you connected to a server?

Also click on the clock and turn off internet time.

-pops- 15:49 09 Mar 2003

Does everything else work OK?

Does the clock lose when the machine is switched off?

If yes, it may be the motherboard battery. Try changing it, not expensive.

Brian

RDG 17:21 09 Mar 2003

Folks, Many thanks for your replies.

I have changed the Battery but it makes no difference and it really shouldn't when the computer is on mains power.

Have turned off the Internet update facility and tried it when not connected to a LAN but no difference the clock loses or gains the odd hour for no reason whatsoever.

Thanks for your ideas. RDG.

AndySD 17:38 09 Mar 2003

Start/Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Services choose Windows Time Right click and in Properties Choose Disable.

RDG 19:34 09 Mar 2003

AndySD, Tried that but problem still exists.
Thanks for the thought. RDG.

Stuartli 20:09 09 Mar 2003

A mobo battery's life is measured in years rather than months - I've never had to replace one over the past eight years and three different mobos.

It may be that Windows' automatic date and timekeeping mode (once correctly set) has gone haywire somewhere (I'm assuming that XP is the same as 98 etc).

Normally when the clocks go back or forward Windows updates automatically and a panel comes up when you next switch on for you to confirm the new time.

Why not download one of the atomic clock programs (very small) and use that instead? It will be updated every time you switch on, just like the clocks which check with the Rugby time signal.

Pesala 20:20 09 Mar 2003

Atomic Clock Sync (484 K) click here

RDG 13:20 10 Mar 2003

Stuartli and Pesala, Thanks your suggestions re the Atomic clock synchronisation programs. Unfortunately these still rely on the Computers hardware clock performing. Mine goes astray every fiteen to thirty minutes but thanks for the suggestions. RDG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017