Erratic broadband connection

boxvilla 11:08 14 May 2009

I have had problems connecting with internet for 2 or 3 years now. Sometimes i might have internet for months and then all of a sudden it will stop for no apparent reason. I have tried everything possible, and followed all the advice, with no success. Just when I think the problem has gone away, there it is again. The adsl light on the router starts to flash. Yesterday I called an engineer. He after doing different tests, he removed the outer cover from the main bt socket and plugged the router and telephone directly into the test socket inside. This gave me instant internet access. He diagnosed the problem as being an internal telephone wiring fault, and i need a bt man to come and fix the problems. My question is, can an internal wiring really affect my adsl connection on and off randomly? I just find this hard to comprehend. Can any body explain this to me in simple English please?

ambra4 02:45 15 May 2009

“Can an internal wiring really affect my ADSL connection on and off randomly?”

Yes

A loose or bad connection from the main socket to the extension socket

Moisture or corrosion at the socket connection points

As the man said get a BT man to come and fix the problems.

boxvilla 11:43 15 May 2009

Thank you very much, ambra4. Your response really helps me a lot. I'll call the BT man and get the problem sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?