Erratic bootup sometimes.

Meshuga 16:10 25 May 2007

S0metimes when I boot up it will not complete it. The sequence at those times is as follows, On switching, on the Bios window appears, then a white progress bar runs acros the bottom of the screen, Then the Microsoft window with the Microsoft logo appears with a horizontal bar in which 3 blue little squares run across from left to right but when it plays up the 3 blue squares are stationary, unlike normally when they run across about 6 times. After that it will go no further and the welcome screen does not appear. I then have to turn the PC off via the on/off button on the front of PC. On switching on again I am offered the option of starting normally or using last known configuration. Using either of those options will boot it up fully ok. The problem does not happen every time i bootup. My OS is XPhome sp2. Can anyone suggest what might be causing this please.

Technotiger 16:16 25 May 2007

Hi, I don't know what might be causing it, but in circumstances like that, it does no harm to run CCleaner click here when you have it up and running normally.

Technotiger 16:17 25 May 2007

Just run CCleaner in its default configuration upon opening it.

rawprawn 16:19 25 May 2007

It could just be a bad HDD connection

Meshuga 16:26 25 May 2007

Thanks rawprawn, good thought. Connections not been disturbed but vibration can cause dodgy connections. Wlll check that out. Should have said at the beginning that once it has booted up completely then everything functions ok.

sunny staines 16:29 25 May 2007

could your power unit be failing to provide enough power and starting to fail. also you could run a memtest floppy to test there is no failure in any of your ram.

Meshuga 16:36 25 May 2007

Thanks sunny staines, I`ve no idea how to test the power unit or how to run a memtest. Still a novice in some respects.

Meshuga 16:47 25 May 2007

Hi Technotiger, I had posted a reply to you but it has not appeared. Message was that I have run CCleaner+ Superantispyware+Windows Defender + NAV but no nasties detected.

birdface 17:24 25 May 2007

Can you do a system restore to a date prior to your problem. Also make sure that there is no dust or fluff blocking the airvents at the back in case it is overheating.

rawprawn 17:31 25 May 2007

Just further to my original post, I had a similar problem some time ago, and it turned out to be a bad IDE cable. If you could try another it would prove one way or another if that is indeed the problem.
Having said that the other people trying to help do not seem to be leaning in that direction.

Meshuga 17:37 25 May 2007

Hi buteman, Have checked already for dust/fluff etc. No fluff and very little dust but have blown out the dust with compressed air aerosol. Have also checked HD connection ensured ram seated ok. Will try a system restore. Many thanks for your reply. Thanks to all previous responders.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone