Errasing History

gazmix 14:23 15 Oct 2006

Hi
When i erase the 7 days history of all sites visited on the left hand side when i open history, it also deletes the sites i've typed in on the top of screen dropdown box!
This happens on firefox, but i don't believe it did on IE.
Is there a way of preventing the erasion of all sites i've typed in in the dropdown box!

Regards

Gaz

Fingees 15:41 15 Oct 2006

I don't quite understand.
History is a record of sites visited.

Why would you type anything in there?

Are you realy talking about typing into bookmarks/favourite box.

interzone55 17:05 15 Oct 2006

Why do you want to erase your history, but not the sites you've typed into the address bar?

Surely if you are concerned enough about people seeing the sites you've visited to clear the history you should also be concerned about entries in the address bar.

Anyway, try this...

In Tools / Options select Privacy, then the History tab. Set this to 7, then any sites you visited more than 7 days ago will be cleared, and it won't clear the stuff out of your address bar.

Not perfect I know, but it's a compromise.

gazmix 22:25 15 Oct 2006

Ok, i know this, but the sites i use the most & there are only about 10, i have in address bar.
I want to erase all stuff i Google search & not the ones i type into address bar.

The sites i visit maybe once, or get diverted to are ones in my history that i want to delete, not my needed sites like forums i use, bank & hotmail etc!!
Gaz

gazmix 11:31 16 Oct 2006

All the sites in the History bit on the left! are trashy sites i just go on for fun or just browsing for stuff,
The main sites i want to keep like bank, hotmail, bbc, pcadvisor, certain other forums, i want to keep in address bar!, without them being erased when i erase each day in History!
Gaz

sidandlil 11:40 16 Oct 2006

if you have the google toolbar I believe you can delete the search history but cant recall how to do it,sorry

interzone55 21:47 16 Oct 2006

Save the sites you visit regularly in your Bookmarks, that's what it's for. Simply press CTRL + D on the page you're on to add it to your Bookmarks (this is called Favourites in IE)

gazmix 12:41 17 Oct 2006

Yeh, thanks, after i bookmark a site, will it stay in the dropdown address bar when i delete all history.
I want to delete history as my pc hasn't a large harddrive space & i want to free up space to make it run a little quicker!
Gaz

gazmix 12:42 17 Oct 2006

Yeh, thanks, after i bookmark a site, will it stay in the dropdown address bar when i delete all history.
I want to delete history as my pc hasn't a large harddrive space & i want to free up space to make it run a little quicker!
Gaz

esbe 15:20 17 Oct 2006

On the google dropdown menu, just hover the mouse cursor over the ones you want to delete, (they will become highlighted), & hit the delete button.

cheers.

gazmix 16:55 17 Oct 2006

erm, on the dropdown bar, i want to keep these, it's all the stuff on the left hand side when i click 'Go' & history that i want to delete.
I tried to do what you said esbe & it just emptied the address of the site currently being used, not the one highlighted in dropdown bar!
Gaz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?