err msg "p2p network can not start"

frior-one 10:50 18 Aug 2003

after attending my nephews pc to remove the blaster worm on friday (i installed the patch, activated the firewall and updated virus defs) he now gets a pop-up error "p2p network can't start". he has broadband and against my advice installed kaza. is this error because of what i have done?
is the only way to get rid of it to un-install kaza? is there a kaza removal tool, i have heard it does all sorts of thing to the registry and by simply un-installing it does not clean it out complely.

jazzypop 10:57 18 Aug 2003

I suspect that he has Kazaa set to run automatically at boot-up, and that the recently-activated firewall is preventing Kazaa from making the connection.

Either search Google for "kazaa removal tool" (there are plenty available), or set the firewall to allow Kazaa to connect.

frior-one 11:03 18 Aug 2003

i am using the windows xp firewall, can you do that with this ? should i get a different firewall, say zone alarm?

jazzypop 11:21 18 Aug 2003

click here to open specific ports in XP's firewall.

Note that XP's firewall only blocks incoming connections, not outgoing. For incoming and outgoing protection, I would consider using the excellent free Sygate firewall (go to sygate.com), or Zonealarm (which I personally dislike).

frior-one 11:30 18 Aug 2003

what is it about it that you do not like? i use it at wotk on a win me machine and its fine. is it more troublesome on xp?

jazzypop 11:54 18 Aug 2003

ZA brought out a whole series of versions (a few years ago) that caused endless problems for many users, culminating in a version that insisted on dialling out as soon as the PC was started. It has never darkened my door since.

Remember that, as stated above, this is a personal opinion. I am prepared to believe that ZA has improved since I last used it, and I am sure that there are plenty of happy users. However, Sygate has worked quietly and well for me since day one, and is the firewall that I choose to recommend.

frior-one 12:02 18 Aug 2003

thank you for that honest answer.
i think i will close this thread now as i think i have the answers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone