Eraser query

micklemouse 12:34 24 Feb 2006

I get the gist that to clean a computer thoroughly of old date, one needs to erase unused disc space of a drive specified by the user i.e. ME. I have got the Eraser prog and am using the On Demand setup for the odd file here and there. But I would like to know why I ought to clean the unused disc space which drive to clean and how to set it up? Eraser itself doesn't offer much guidance to a dolt like me. I know there is a link to provide assistance but this hasn't given me any confidence in using the 'erase unused disc space' option.

Regards Micklemosue

Belatucadrus 12:54 24 Feb 2006

Eraser is a secure file elimination tool and isn't any good as a cleaner, for that try CCleaner click here or iISystemwiper click here

The rational for erasing unused drive space is that deleted files that were stored on that portion of the disk can be recovered by software like PC Inspector click here if you run the eraser clean free space utility, these files are overwritten with several layers of random junk making recovery next to impossible without expensive forensic hardware.

micklemouse 13:15 24 Feb 2006

Thanks for your help, but if I should ever need to wipe/erase the deleted files with Eraser at some later stage, where can I find out how to do this? I'm being very cautious with Eraser already and will use CCLeaner for the cleaning as you suggest. But it's the erasing i need help with.

remind 13:18 24 Feb 2006
  remind 13:20 24 Feb 2006
  Belatucadrus 13:31 24 Feb 2006

Open eraser
1) Click on "Create a new task" button.
2) From new "Task properties" window, tick "Unused space on drive" Option, then from the dropdown menu select the drive you want to clean, usually "Local Disk C" unless you have any storage partitions you want to clean. Tick the "Keep task on the list" option and OK it.
3) The job will now be listed in the main window, click on it to select it, then click the run button.
4) Go make coffee/tea, read book or take up Yoga, while it runs its course, it will take some time.

micklemouse 13:45 24 Feb 2006

right, got it sussed; I will do as you say Bela-thingy now that I know what drive's unused disc space to clean (wasn't too sure before how to set it up) and funny enough, I do have a yoga book over on the coffee table. Maybe now is the time to get my mind and body in order...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone