erase hard drive and reinstall?

bludywoman 09:40 06 Jul 2006

Hi...for the third time I will try....
Have been having major problems with internet loading....suspect mcafee suite. 95% of the time I get 'cannot find server@...in the bottom on the left I also get 'searching for site or acquiring network address'. Task manager says 'not responding' Have tried to post this twice last night but when I hit 'post'..I get cannot find server. Damn lucky to be on now. Have tried reinstalling internet hardware (as advised by wanadoo/orange) as I recently installed a new version of mcaf. suite. Made no difference.... I think the shortest route to sort this is to (having copied all my docs. & picts. onto a disk)...wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows 'et al'. please please....anyone....?....VoG?......(do excuse if dont reply straight away...it is cos pc wont let me the net)! p.s...how do I wipe the drive and reinstall...dont know how to do it..am a basic user. Alison

MAJ 10:41 06 Jul 2006

Have you tried totally uninstalling McAfee, if you think it's McAfee causing the problem, bludywoman?

To reinstall XP (I assume you're using XP) make sure that the BIOS is set to boot from your CD-ROM drive, reboot your PC with the XP CD in the CD-ROM drive, when asked to (on the start screen), press any key to boot from the CD-ROM drive, then follow the on-screen instructions to format the hard drive and load XP.

Batch 10:54 06 Jul 2006

See following re re-installs

click here

click here

bludywoman 12:13 06 Jul 2006

thank you...will try this.

VoG II 12:16 06 Jul 2006

With pictures click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 06 Jul 2006

I love the idea of someone with internet connection problems being given a link to a repair site (which of course if you can not connect you can not see).

:0)

Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Graham ® 16:58 06 Jul 2006

I love the idea of someone with internet connection problems being given instructions over the internet :-)

john-232317 17:24 06 Jul 2006

She got a connection to post this thread ????

bludywoman 17:40 06 Jul 2006

Hello....yes still here periodically....as I said earlier...I can 'surf' for about 4 minutes...or for so many pages and then it cuts out again!...took three times to post original thread....Have set pc back to factory settings reinstalled mcafee suite 8 and then the wireless bits. Have spent 1.5 hours on the phone to orange/wanadoo....who basically hvaen't got a clue. The told me I have too many items plugged into sockets ....internet/sky (now removed as only for interactive...) /fax (now pulled out as it is only ocassional use..)/ and two phones...and he basically said I had too many things plugged in and that I should only have 4 things plugged in in the household (ren value of 4)....my question is why then did I as usual practice have this (and more) and it not affect me?...I still basically dont know what to do. My signal is strong (according to task bar...)..although when it goes off..the wireless triangle thingy goes mad with the light display...and I cannot connect!...it is like something keeps knocking it off. HEEEEEEEEELP

bludywoman 21:56 06 Jul 2006

....p.s. if anyone genuinely thinks they know how to fix this problem...would it be more helpful if I rang them?....is this allowed?....only spent one hour on hte phone with someone at wanadoo/orange....and still he didnt have a clue....gave all the ...'can't have more than 4 things plugged into the phone sockets at one time'...how come still crashing with only one or two things?.....?!?!?!? Alison

VoG II 22:01 06 Jul 2006

Yes of course phone contact is OK - whatever you do don't put your phone number on this thread though. Wait for somebody to click your yellow envelope to send you an e-mail.

I'm uncertain where we are, Alison. Are you saying that you've reinstalled Windows and you are still having problems with internet connectivity?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone