Epson SX600FW All in one connection problem

Laurasplog 14:47 15 Nov 2008

Hi all

Very new to this forum, but couldn't find a similar thread. Really hoping someone could help.

I've just bought the above printer, which should have wifi. However, I've been informed that the first time it needs to connect by ethernet cable. I've duly plugged the ethernet into my laptop (Windows XP) and into the LAN port on the printer. But it's not recognised. Apparently another way of doing this is to connect the printer to my wireless router also by ethernet, but still nothing is being picked up.

I have installed all relevant software and even tried a second PC in case my PC has a faulty LAN socket. Still no joy.

The printer doesn't come with a USB or printer cable. Can anyone suggest what might be going on here?

Under "Easy Network Setup", the program just doesn't find the printer.

Thanks in advance for your help. By the way - I'm an inexperienced user, so any help please make as newbie-friendly as possible!

Thanks guys.

Laura

Technotiger 14:51 15 Nov 2008

The printer still needs to be connected via USB to PC. New printers do not come with the USB cable or any other cable to connect to PC.

Technotiger 14:58 15 Nov 2008

BTW - I should have said - Welcome to the best Forum on the Net.

Once your printer is connected via USB cable, you should have no problem using the wifi capability, great for sharing the printer between more than one computer.

Laurasplog 14:59 15 Nov 2008

Wow, really? It doesn't mention anything about USB in the setup instructions and the printer didn't come with a USB lead. Is it really the case that a printer arrives without the lead you need to connect it to the PC?

So I have to go and buy a USB lead now?

Thanks

Laura

Technotiger 18:43 15 Nov 2008

Yes - you do need to get a USB Printer to PC cable. No new printers come with this item.

woodchip 19:21 15 Nov 2008

It should work direct through the router if you first setup a Network, It should not need a USB cable. turn the Printer and any computers on then go to control panel to Networking Setup Wizard, run that the Printer must be connected by Ethernet to router before the above

Technotiger 22:02 15 Nov 2008

Hi, I see you have Green-ticked as Resolved - a bit of feedback as to how you got it working is always welcome, as this then helps others in the future who may be having the same problem.

Cheers.

daveb975 14:16 07 Dec 2008

Hi, I just came across this thread, and registered as I have a similar problem. I would also be interested to find out how Laurasplog resolved this.

For most printers, I would agree with the advice of connecting to the PC by USB when configuring the wireless for the first time, but this Epson is different. The supplied software specifically instructs users to connect by Ethernet cable either to the PC or router whilst configuring wireless.

Connecting by USB will allow you to use the printer directly from the PC, but not to configure wireless.

Stuartli 15:12 07 Dec 2008

Well my best mate's Epson R200 and my R300 both did and both USB leads are of excellent quality...:-)

Shamgah 23:19 02 May 2009

I have been able to get this printer to work from one desktop computer using my wireless network. This network has been used with my laptop and a samsung printer and a network drive for a couple of years so I am sure its solid.

My problem is getting the epson to work from the laptop and from the desktop. All efforts have failed hence the deperate call for help

Sea Urchin 23:27 02 May 2009

Start your own thread instead of hijacking one that is six months old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?