Epson Stylus DX4000 Printer - Compatible ink

itenary 16:45 09 Oct 2007

Hello
I have an Epson DX4000 printer that doesn't recognise compatible cartridges.

I have bought 2 lots from 2 different manufacturers and neither works.

Can I fool the printer in any way to recognise them?

Thanks

jack 17:22 09 Oct 2007

several ways of doing this.
1. retain a set of original cartridges and lift off the chips and put them onto the compats.
It is a simple procedure- they simply lay in the cart with a notch and peg locator.
2. buy a 'Zapit' chip re-setter.

3. download click here the Epson utility and reset the counters.

Totally-braindead 17:25 09 Oct 2007

You could try the SSC utility. I have had mixed success with it, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Considering its a new printer it probably won't but its worth a try.
click here
I have found Choicestationerys carts work fine click here

crosstrainer 17:41 09 Oct 2007

The same printer, the Tesco cartridges work fine...Even though they are not "Durabright" They come with a no quibble money back guarantee, and are a couple of quid cheaper than the Epson variety.

pj123 17:49 09 Oct 2007

Where did you buy these two lots of compatible cartridges from? I have a D78 which takes the same cartridges as the DX4000. I get mine from Choice Stationery and have had no problems with them.

itenary 09:33 10 Oct 2007

I bought one lot of cartridges from printerinks.com but I can't remember where I bought the others from.

I was told that only DX4000 printers bought after April/May 2007 have this problem.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try and let you know how I get on.

itenary 11:05 10 Oct 2007

Fantastic.

Couldn't swap chips as different sizes so I downloaded the SSC. I had a bit of difficulty because printer isn't on the list. However choosing CX3900 works.

I reset the counters then changed cartridge to a compatible that I had tried and wasn't working and it is now working beautifully.

And that is not all!

I had a Epson C46 that I had stopped using because it said parts had reach the end of their life. I opened it up to check that the ink pads were still ok and I reset the protection counter. And now that works too.

Thanks for your precious help.

Totally-braindead 11:08 10 Oct 2007

Glad it worked, as I said I had mixed success with this utility but there was no harm in trying it.

sarah55 20:34 01 Jul 2009

hiya
ive just bought an epson bx300f the cartridges that came with it are finished and ive bought 2 sets of competible ones but the printer wont recognise them
ive just dowloaded the ssc tool thing but dont know how to use it can someone please help me
i want to reset the printer so it can accept competible cartridges how do i go about it ?
thankyou.

ive posted on another forum this morning and no one seems to be intrested in helping :(
so thought id post on this one
thanks alot.

woodchip 20:50 01 Jul 2009

I use Compats from Computer Fairs they cost about £1 each in sets. Six in my Epson RX620 multi function I get them for a bit cheaper £5 for set

woodchip 20:52 01 Jul 2009

Next one at Sheffield Arena this Sunday

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017