Epson Stylus COLOUR 680

night 17:42 09 Apr 2004

Can someone advise on the best programme to use for printing from a Digital Camera using the above printer or should I go for a more up market printer?

Diodorus Siculus 17:51 09 Apr 2004

Print quality is limited by the quality of the camera and the printer. But some software can hep - what is it that you want to do? Simply print occasional photos or print pages or thumbnails or what?

Epson's photquicker is a good basic program as is irfanview.

Diemmess 18:13 09 Apr 2004

The right quality of paper can make a huge difference to the result, even after you have "improved" it with picture editing software.

If you have a photo you really want to make the best of, then use a photo quality Epson paper and the Epson printer's own software to actually print. You will have a quality not far short of the most expensive printers you can buy.

In this game, you get a good camera so you want a better printer. With the new printer and an even more expensive heavyweight picture editing programme, you fell you ought to buy a better camera!

mosfet 18:28 09 Apr 2004

I use the same printer & are very happy with results,but I am not an expert...Les

woodchip 18:49 09 Apr 2004

I use a 680 with no problems just get some good paper, if they are not comming out very good I would think it's your camera thats the problem. Have you set the Printer to best in Printer Properties before you print the photo. i.e. 1440dpi

Pidder 19:06 09 Apr 2004

Suggest you note the utilities, print head alignment, nozzle cleaning and head cleaning.

Djohn 19:16 09 Apr 2004

Agree with woodchip. Although the 680 is not the latest printer on the market, it's a good one and capable of good quality prints/photo's.

Applications to use for good results with photo editing are Paint shop pro. Don't need the latest version and some of the earlier versions are now free on cover disk.

Try photo Mags as well as PC ones. Adobe Elements is also a good one at a very reasonable price. As Diodorus Siculus says irfanview is another good one plus it's free. click here j.

TommyRed 20:06 09 Apr 2004

I use Adobe Elements 1.0 which was about £12 on e-bay including delivery from Germany, the latest version retails for about £60. Good programme for editing your photo's. HTH TR

Hacky 21:27 09 Apr 2004

The other way to get the best results is to make sur you only use the original ink cartridges and not compatables ( i have the t-shirt)

niknax 21:56 09 Apr 2004

i totally agree with hacky!!

did have a 680 until i tried putting in card! the wee plastic feeder broke!! anyway i used it for design layouts to show customers, i ran it through a mac with adobe illustrator, a local printer seen the quality of the colour printout and was very impressed, i only used epson cart. and 720dpi paper!! don't use the cheepies!!

Nik

night 23:04 09 Apr 2004

Many thanks to all those people who have sent in replies greatly appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017