Epson scanner, Canon ink jet incompatibility.

airbornenot 22:26 20 Dec 2005

MS XP home with SP2. I have an Epson Perfection 124OU scanner and a Canon i990 ink jet printer.The two worked perfectly well together before my hard drive had to be replaced and I had to reload all my programmes.
The Epson uses Smart Panel (TWAIN 5)as a link for applications. If I try to copy to the printer, the normal on screen facsimile of a photocopier operating panel shows, but when "Print" is pressed, a grey box appears with "Copy Utility - Exception (-1)".
Epson told me to download a patch which I did, but that caused an error whereby I could not even access the photocopier panel because when pressing "copy" in TWAIN, a box told me that it could not find the application in the programme files.
I hope that this makes sense to someone. Any help would be appreciated.

€dstowe 06:29 21 Dec 2005

Try deleting all traces of the software attached to both the printer and scanner. Then re-install following the instructions EXACTLY according to the manual.

May not work but it's worth a try - software for both printers and scanners tends to be finicky and temperamental.

airbornenot 08:45 21 Dec 2005

Many thanks for the advice €dstowe, but I tried that after the Epson patch failed. I am now back to being able to access the photocopier buttons, but still get the "Exception (-1)" box. It is only the printer which will not work with TWAIN. I think that I had a patch before from Epson, but the current one that they advise doesn`t seem to load properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone