epson scanner

chippy+ 10:44 29 Mar 2007

hi i have a epson perfection 1670 usb scanner which turns on at startup does anyone know how to set this to manual start as the scanner light stays on when not in use i do not need the scanner to be on at all times the button at the front does not put the scanner off thanks Chippy

jack 10:55 29 Mar 2007

The best way is to have the power brick to hand[The lead is usually of sufficient length] and disconnect the low voltage supply to scanner- when not in use.
This is fact the recommended way in the Epson 'Manual'

recap 11:01 29 Mar 2007

I do not know of any off switch within the software interface chippy+. The only way to turn the unit off is by unplugging it.

You could look to see if the software for the scanner starts at startup by typing MSCONFIG in Run, and look in StartUP.

Migwell 11:13 29 Mar 2007

Switch off at the mains, this will save electricty as the whole thing is not left on stand by or anything like that. If you just pull out the low voltage plug the power brick is still connected to the mains and will consume a small amount of electricty. I fitted mine with a switched plug that I bought from B&Q for about £2.50 you then just need to switch it off at the plug with out having to pull the plug out if using a 4 or 6 way power strip.

chippy+ 11:25 29 Mar 2007

hi jack and recap
thanks for the reply it doesn't seem a very modern way to disable or stop anything from starting you would think epson would let you stop it from the unit controls there is nothing in msconfig or services the only place is device manager under image devices thanks again Chippy

pj123 11:43 29 Mar 2007

I have the Epson 3170 and it is fitted with an On/Off switch on the side. But I use mine fairly regularly so I don't switch it off at all.

jack 12:10 29 Mar 2007

Different Models different Spec's I guess
They do seem to change by the week- so much so I sometimes wonder if much of this stuff and other hardware included- is not always the lable but re-badged third party makes from China.
From my point of view my whole system is plugged into a switched anti-surge strip, so when the days work is done - and the machine closes or [hibernated
the more usual] it all goes off

Technotiger 12:10 29 Mar 2007

My Epson 3490 scanner does not have a on/off switch, but I have it permanently plugged into a remote controlled 3-pin mains socket - I just have to press a button on the remote control to switch it on or off. I only switch it on when I want to use it.
The remote control plus three controllable three-pin plug/sockets is available at B&Q. I have one of the plug/sockets to control an external hard-drive, and the third I use to remotely switch my TV on/off at the mains.

chippy+ 12:18 29 Mar 2007

hi thanks to all Chippy

woodchip 12:19 29 Mar 2007

Go to MSCONFIG by typing it in run box, then startup tab. Remove the tick for Stimon.exe that starts the scanner.

Next Press WinKwy + E Go to Windows Folder\System32 look down the right at files for Stimon.exe, right click and drag a shortcut onto quick start bar near to start button.

when you want to use it click on the icon, after use right click task bar Click Task Manager and remove Stimon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?