Epson R300 printer and Photo Printing Wizard

Trikie 22:04 15 Aug 2008

I have just bought an R300 as a backup to the existing R220.

I've downloaded a pdf version of the 124 page instruction manual and when skim reading it on screen for the first time I saw somewhere that it produces darker prints when the photo comes via the Windows Photo Printing Wizard.

Printing the same photo on both printers confirms this, but looking through the manual again I can't find the relevant section to see whether it suggested what settings to use to lighten the photos.

Can anyone give advice in very basic terms.

Thanks

jakimo 22:21 15 Aug 2008

Why limit your photo brightness\contrast to the Epson wizard when you can be in control and choose any setting you like just by using any of the free editing software available,for i.e. give Picasa2 a try

Trikie 00:04 16 Aug 2008

I downloaded Picassa and found that it took over management of all my photos so I deleted it. I presume I could have set some restrictions when loading it but to be honest I took a dislike to it and didn't try again. Probably my loss.

eedcam 09:01 16 Aug 2008

Try Irfan view its free just take controlof what you install like Yahootoolbar if you dont want it
click here

drybones 10:33 16 Aug 2008

I had a Epson rx500 that did this and consulted thier help line,apparently this a common fault with certain of thier printers,the advice I was given was Not! to use Windows Photo Printing Wizard anything else worked fine Nikon, Canon.and Fuji Printing software also, Adobe Photoshop Elements. moral dont use Windows Wizard and you will print what you see, hope this helps a little I used countless photo paper and ink trying to sort mine out. Happy printing

Trikie 12:47 18 Aug 2008

I've tried Irfanview and even Picasa but still get darker prints. The mid-grey cloudy sky in one comes out with a strong pink cast

Has anyone any other suggestions?

TonyM 14:15 18 Aug 2008

I had the same problem with an Epson R300 printing very dark, and with strange colour casts - fixed by upgrading the driver to the latest one on the Epson website

jack 15:41 18 Aug 2008

1. Click File/print/ printer properties/select
Inkjet transparencies- this reduces the volume of ink deposited.
Best Photo and adjust the colour values.
Print a test picture - note the result.
Adjust print another - that same image.
Until you find a setting that suits.
Then save that setting
This software click here also a valuable tool to control the picture quality and save a lot of money on ink.

Stuartli 16:54 18 Aug 2008

I also have an Epson R300 and mainly use Picasa2.

However, on the few occasions I've used the Windows Photo Printing Wizard, the end results have been very similar.

Might be worth checking out the printer's Properties from Start>Settings>Printers and Faxes>highlight your printer>right click>Properties>Colour Management tab.

I've set mine at the Automatic setting, with the Default of EE261_1 being used by Windows.

Stuartli 16:54 18 Aug 2008

I also have an Epson R300 and mainly use Picasa2.

However, on the few occasions I've used the Windows Photo Printing Wizard, the end results have been very similar.

Might be worth checking out the printer's Properties from Start>Settings>Printers and Faxes>highlight your printer>right click>Properties>Colour Management tab.

I've set mine at the Automatic setting, with the Default of EE261_1 being used by Windows.

Trikie 21:06 27 Dec 2008

Gave up before trashing the printer in frustration - have now calmed down enough to try again.

Drybones - not sure about the mechanics of using some other printing software. How do I find an alternative and presumably I still use the Epson driver.

TonyM - any idea of the reference of the latest driver? TheEpson website FAQ refers to a "recent download" The only remotely recent one applies to XP 64bit version which mine is not.

Jack - Can't find an Inkjet Transparencies setting in Properties. How do I get to the colour values. The link doesn't work - is there a new one?

Stuartli - my default is E263_1 and trying to alter it there is no E261_1 option.

Sorry to ask so many probably basic/silly questions but I'm at or beyond the limit of my technical knowledge.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017