Epson R240 Installation glitch

Timperley 17:56 23 Apr 2007

Just installed new Epson R240 using CD supplied. Installation completed ok - all components from disc now on system - printer works ok. However, I keep getting the "FOUND NEW HARDWARE WIZARD" window appearing on screen saying that it "cannot install the R240 hardware - the system cannot find the file specified". I click the 'finish' tab to close the window, but it opens up again within seconds. I can use my computer ok with this window in the background, but it's annoying. It only appears when the printer is 'on'. Any ideas?

Stuartli 18:02 23 Apr 2007

Did you install the drivers and software as detailed and only connected the R240 when requested (it's a USB device)?

iqs 18:25 23 Apr 2007

just re-installed the R240.Insert the disc and follow the on screen prompts.It will tell you when to connect the printer.No issues with my installation .Un-install and try again.Hope this helps.

Timperley 16:26 24 Apr 2007

Thanks Stuartli and iqs for your input. I left printer off and re-installed files from CD. When I switched printer back on same problem occured - new hardware wizard looking for printer - although it's loaded and usable! Contacted Epson who directed me to - hhtp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298370 - and it appears that this is a known problem with Windows XP and I now have to plough through the instructions to fix the glitch. Thanks for your interest.

Stuartli 17:16 24 Apr 2007

The link should be:

click here

In fact you are probably better going to:

click here

and downloading and installing the latest driver for your R240.

I have an R300 and haven't come across such a problem.

Timperley 10:37 25 Apr 2007

Thanks Stuartli - took your advice and followed link to download latest driver (version 5.9b). Followed prompts and ended up with "FOUND NEW HARDWARE WIZARD" screen, but this time the 'next' button was active (not just the 'finish' button). Pressed 'next' and was promted to run CD again. Did this and installation went normally. Re-started computer as requested and guess what! The 'unable to find specified file' message is still there and when I click 'finish' to close the wizard window it pops back up again - so it's back to the microsoft website. Thanks anyway.

Timperley 21:37 30 Apr 2007

Just to close this story.
Asked Gateway (who made my machine) to help. They suggested I hit F8 as my machine is booting up and select SAFE mode. Then delete the Registry entry using the arrow keys. Before I got this far I received a message from McAfee that a new updated Security Centre was available for free download. Installed this new version and restarted machine and guess what - when I turned on my printer no 'new hardware' message appeared!! and printer works normally. Don't understand why as I'm no expert, but all's well that ends well!

Timperley 21:43 30 Apr 2007

Incidentally the registry entry I was advised to delete by both Microsoft and Gateway to stop the new hardware message constantly appearing was HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM (in case any one else has this problem).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires