Epson printing ink

Russell1307 15:53 06 Apr 2008

I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX 560.
I am finding that it uses the colours very quickly particularly the yellow.

Two questions:
1. When I am printing black and white can I ensure that it is only using the black ink?

2. When a colour cartidge is empty ( or so the machine says) it does not allow me to print anything even black and white. Ant way around this?

Thanks for your help in advance

Russell

kindly 15:58 06 Apr 2008

You should be able to press the restet button to carry on using the cartridge but this will give you a warning about running out of ink altogether. On my old epson i used to hold the power button for 5 second and then it was reset. Have you looked at continuous ink units for your printer. They save a lot of time and money if you use a lot of ink or do a lot of printing. You can do a search on google to find some companies that do them.
Hope this helps you.

Technotiger 16:06 06 Apr 2008

Hi, you could opt to print in Black and White, instead of in Greyshade in order to more or less ensure only black is used.

There are several commercial products (software) which are said to make the ink last much longer, though I have never used any of them.

I do all my printing in Draft mode, this does save a lot of ink - the strange thing is, that in using Draft mode I find that all my photographs look very much better and actually print the colours as seen on-screen.

I bought a new printer (Epson R360) at the beginning of February, and although the paper-work/software advised me that the original cartridges would not last very long, I have done lots of printing, including photographs, and there is still plenty of ink showing in the ink monitor.

Russell1307 16:23 06 Apr 2008

Thanks Kindly and Technotiger but when the printer says it needs a cartidge none of the other controls work apart from being able to turn it off. Turning it back on just brings you back to the same situation - perhaps a feature of the RX560!!

Technotiger 16:26 06 Apr 2008

I think it is a feature of all Epson printers, not just the RX560. I have had the same happen on an earlier Epson printer - 'twas ok once I changed the empty cartridge.

jack 17:39 06 Apr 2008

I think it is the case that Epson printers[I have 4]
Do not feature 'black only' printing but actually print all colours one over the other to get the density- examine a print under a high power magnifier to prove this.
Sidereal ways of conserving ink usage are as follows.
When printing full colour photos select 'Inkjet transparancy in stead of gloss paper.
Down Load Ink Saver
click here

This is really useful tool that really does work.

jack 17:43 06 Apr 2008

Obtain a cartridge chip re setter 'Zapit'
and when the indicator says time for a change -'Zapit'

Also the Epson utility from
click here is a useful cartridge maintenance tool

Bald Eagle 18:14 06 Apr 2008

I wouldn't click on jack's link it sent my anti virus program mental!
BE

jack 12:11 07 Apr 2008

Just checked it - Monday 7/4

Check out your A/V prog

Yeldarb 12:48 07 Apr 2008

Russell, Technotiger, Kindly, Jack and Bald Eagle

Would you mind if I interjected a related comment ?.

When I purchase petrol, I KNOW the amount I put in the tank and I KNOW the resulting mileage.
Not so with printer ink. Some manufacturers claim "30% more" etc. 30% more than what ???

Shouldn't they be required to indicate the volume of ink in cartridges ??

johnnyrocker 12:51 07 Apr 2008

no probs here with mcafe advisor or anything else on jacks link.

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?