epson printer trouble

Rhuddlan 23:40 22 Apr 2003

I have a friend who has Win 98 and an epson printer stylus photo 700, the printer's paper light is flashing, but there is no paper jam, both ink cartridges lights are on, but both ink cartridges are full and inserted correctly, when the printer is switched on the ink cartridges don't seem to move, all that happens is the power light comes on, then about 5 seconds later, the lights for the paper and ink appear in red, can anyone help my friend in desprate need, epson seem to be hopeless at replying to
e mails, thanks anyone.

woodchip 23:47 22 Apr 2003

As He, She, read the manual, it's obviously sending out a error message with the red light

woodchip 23:49 22 Apr 2003

PS check the air holes are clear in the top of the cartridges. Air in Ink out, no air in no ink out. use a pin

pj123 23:57 22 Apr 2003

Try this. Lift the lid of the printer. Switch the printer on. When the ink cartridges start moving to the left, pull the power lead out from the printer. Move the ink cartridges to the left so that you can remove and replace them. Now plug the power lead back in and boot your computer.

This should re-start the printer and, hopefully, solve the problem.

Rhuddlan 00:00 23 Apr 2003

the ink cartridges don't move at all, myself and my friend, who is a she, have read the manual, but to no use, I will try to clean the holes of the cartridges, thanks for all the help, I will post back and tell you all if it worked.

Deeg 00:31 23 Apr 2003

Try phoning Epson on 08701 637766. I found them really helpful.

ton 00:34 23 Apr 2003

Have you tried loading a sheet of paper and pressing the paper feed button?

ton 00:53 23 Apr 2003

You can test the printer on its own, without the PC. This should tell you if the problem is the printer or the software. To do this, first disconnect the cable that comes from the PC to the printer. Now, with the printer switched OFF, press the paper feed button (keep pressed) and press the power button. Now release both buttons and if all is well with the printer, it should print the test pattern and a number.

mole44 08:28 23 Apr 2003

when will people RFI that is "read the flipping instructions".those manual are there to help also use the help option on any program.

-pops- 08:49 23 Apr 2003

I thought the acronym was RTFM. I will not translate!

One thing that hasn't been suggested that sometimes works is to have the printer switched on and pull out the power lead. DON'T switch it off, just pull it out. Leave a few minutes and plug back in again. No idea what it does but it seems to reset something or other.

If that doesn't work, remove the printer from the Add Printers page and re-install all the software. Get the latest software for it from the Epson website click here

Brian

Offline 11:01 23 Apr 2003

There is a possiblity that the waste ink reservoir is full which causes the printer to switch off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?