epson printer service Rip off

widdy 09:14 03 Oct 2007

My Epson RX 620 recently refused to work, displaying the message that parts within the printer had reached the end of their servicable life.
I was in the middle of an urgent print run so took the machine to a local service company who were licenced to run the necessary checks and the printer was returned within the hour working fine, top marks to Swanley Computers of Dartford.

My question is this, the only work carried out was to run some software supplied to the dealer by Epson, which presumably reset the counters within the printer, I do not think any parts were replaced, so why did this need to be done.
I am aware that there are downloads available on the net to reset counters etc. but did not have time to search them out.
Are Epson ripping us off?

spuds 10:12 03 Oct 2007

How can Epson be 'ripping us off?'. You asked one of their service agents to perform a task (I assume you asked for a quote) and they got your printer working again.

Had you considered spending a little time with a Google search, you would have easily found this little gem click here and others like it.

In the case of your problem, it was most likely the waste tank pads wanted cleaning or/and changing plus a reset. My local Epson agent charges £30.00 for this, I do it for nothing.

eBay are full of such printers ;O)

carper 11:01 03 Oct 2007

I have used SSC as suggested by spuds, but I'm not sure whether it would work on your machine but ut it certainly worked on mine (C$2+) I had the same message as you and simply cleaned the waste ink pads and reset the counter. The biggest job was getting into the case. Regards Carper.

carper 11:02 03 Oct 2007

Correction should read (C42+) Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone