Epson printer problem

palinka 19:03 15 May 2005

I posted this click here in the consumer watch forum as it began as a comment on an epson printer. But it's become more of a helproom-type problem, so I'm posting it here to see if anyone else can add advice. I've tried all that pj123 and others have suggested and none of their suggestions has proved to be the reason for the problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 15 May 2005

1. Unplug the power and USB cables from the printer. I pried open my C40UX printer, careful not to break anything. I use a flat blade screwdriver to pry it apart; there are two-three tabs at the back and two at the front. Gently push them in, and then using a bit of force pry apart the cover.
2. Next I removed the two (2) waste ink pads. They are located at the back on the left hand side. I used the flat blade screwdriver to lift up the ink pads (they were soaked). Please use rubber gloves as it gets very messy.
3. Next I took the pads to the kitchen skin and washed them with just plain hot water until they were white again. I just let the hot water run on them (the pads are about three inches long).
4. Once washed I dried them using a hair drier. (you could place it the sun for a few hours or on top of your heater or maybe in a heated oven; (make sure you do not set it on fire with too much heat).
5. Once dried I placed the pads back in the ink waste bin at the back of the printer.
6. I closed the printer cover and put back all the pieces and plugged in the USB & power cable and turned it on. (Yes the lights are still flashing).
7. Go to this link and download this software: click here
8. Install the software and run it.
9. Select your printer and model number ( It only says C40 there is no UX, choose it anyway).It will ask if you replaced with new pads; say “YES”. Then close the window.
10. Now right click on the SSC service utility, it looks like a printer icon near your clock in the task bar.
11. Then click on reset counters. You can do all other stuff with this utility too.
12. Turn off the printer power and then turn it on again. If necessary un-plug the power cord from the back of the printer, wait 20 seconds. Plug it back in.
13. IT WORKS AGAIN.

Maybe you dont need to do the waste ink pads but the service software will override the empty crtridge messages

palinka 19:21 15 May 2005

thanks,Fruit Bat /\0/\ , sounds very complicated but I'll try it.

Sans le Sou 19:24 15 May 2005

It really sounds seriously bunged up, could try these click here delivered next day

palinka 20:12 15 May 2005

thanks,Sans le Sou. It all looks like a lot of hard work, and expense that might not result in a cure.

Buchan 35 22:15 15 May 2005

Thanks for this thread. I`d lost FruitBat /\0/\ `s original answer to a similar question and suddenly it re-appears. Thanks again

woodchip 22:19 15 May 2005

Have you considered that it may be a faulty cart chip

woodchip 22:20 15 May 2005

Have you considered that it may be a faulty cart chip

PS have you tried the old Cart in, if it's still got ink in it

palinka 08:34 16 May 2005

Woodchip, they'd thrown away the old stuff before I came on the scene, unfortunately.

jack 08:56 16 May 2005

Wow this is full of good stuff for stuffed Epson printers.
But analiysing Galika comments it seems that data is getting to the printer.
Ink is getting to the page, but only just.
seriously clogged head then?

This is what have do to my Epson printer if what appears to be a clogged head manifests it self

Remove the cartridge and devise a pumping device to fit over the nozzle feed spike in the base of the
cartridge chamder
I used a od refill suring with the need removed and a bit of fine poly pipe, a oeive of drinking sraw may serve, then using distilled, deionized water - the soet for batteries/Irons etc., gibe the head a good pump through,
pump it in, suck it out several times.
then replace the cart.As an improver a dash of alchohol [vodka?] about 10% to the water will help to shift the gunge - if you are using a straw
the water will taste better - it if get that high.

jack 08:56 16 May 2005

Wow this is full of good stuff for stuffed Epson printers.
But analiysing Galika comments it seems that data is getting to the printer.
Ink is getting to the page, but only just.
seriously clogged head then?

This is what have do to my Epson printer if what appears to be a clogged head manifests it self

Remove the cartridge and devise a pumping device to fit over the nozzle feed spike in the base of the
cartridge chamder
I used a od refill suring with the need removed and a bit of fine poly pipe, a oeive of drinking sraw may serve, then using distilled, deionized water - the soet for batteries/Irons etc., gibe the head a good pump through,
pump it in, suck it out several times.
then replace the cart.As an improver a dash of alchohol [vodka?] about 10% to the water will help to shift the gunge - if you are using a straw
the water will taste better - it if gets too high.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017