Epson Printer Knackered

Stuarthouston 20:16 09 Nov 2004

I have a 14 month old Epson Stylus C44UX printer. Currently it is out of action. When you ask it to print, it kinda does, but the printout is full of gaps (1cm gaps) and the printer emits a loud clunking noise. It was a very cheap printer, so dunno if its just wear and tear. It just started for no apparent reason. Possibly something out of alignment? Would be handy to get it fixed, as currently i owe my dad a printer.
Any help would be appreciated.
-Stu

john-232317 20:38 09 Nov 2004

I had a scanner like that, i uninstalled it then reinstalled it ,updated drivers and it still works now. May help.

Cook2 20:59 09 Nov 2004

Check to see if there is any paper, or other object, fouling the head or the guides, which could have damaged the head.

Cook2 21:00 09 Nov 2004

Check to see if there is any paper, or other object, fouling the head or the guides, which could have damaged the head.

ton 21:14 09 Nov 2004

"Loud clunking noise" - I had an Epson printer that made nasty noises.

It was caused by the running rail that the head is mounted on getting dirty. As the head couldn't move fast enough the belt slipped and the head was out of synch.

The cure was very simple, just wipe the dried ink off the running rail. I used a tiny drop of very thin oil on a tissue and wiped it clean.

Restarting the printer put it back in synch and all was well.

paddyjack 21:24 09 Nov 2004

if you go here click here enter your post code and you will get the nearest repair center, no money involved unless repair is carried out. They will assess it for free.

Stuarthouston 21:30 09 Nov 2004

No paper is in the printer, and as far as i can tell without taking the cover off, there is no jam. Tried reinstalling drivers, to no avail. The rail does look pretty manky, so ill try cleaning that tomorrow morning when i get hold of some oil. Cheers guys. Will keep you posted.

canard 22:15 09 Nov 2004

ton your tip did my MUCH older Epson lots of good- thankyou.

Rtus 22:33 09 Nov 2004

regular very light oiling of printhead guide bar does wonders on most printers.Also covering during non use is recomended . Stops all the fluff & gunge getting into it in the first place.a surplus pillow-case draped over the top is ideal (as long as you like the colour LOL)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?