Epson printer ink?

Thomas71 00:33 02 Jun 2010

I am doing a DIY transfer with an Epson printer, where the printed image needs to be made damp with water. People I know have done it with genuine Epson inks. I have been using compatible inks. But I don't get the same result!

So my question is, do the Epson compatible inks have the same water resistance as Epson durabrite inks?

dagbladet 00:58 02 Jun 2010

I didn't know this was possible. I have in the past sucesfully made iron-on type transfer using compatibles, but never the 'wet with water kind

defendor 06:55 02 Jun 2010

no idea.. Try searching the web!

click here

BT 08:29 02 Jun 2010

It may work better with Pigment Inks as opposed to dye based ones, which is probably why some people may have had better results.

Thomas71 09:10 02 Jun 2010

Yes it can be done. I have seen it and had some success with it.

I have sent loads of time on the web, but no one will tell you what is in their ink. Just that it's compatible and cheaper.

This method has only been done with Epson printers that I know of. And people use Epson inks, so I guess the compatible inks must be missing whatever Epson use in their original inks. I have used my HP printer for this, but just about all the image rubs off with their original inks!

woodchip 09:46 02 Jun 2010

Epson Inks are as you say water proof. As well as long lasting as to fade. But you only get what you pay for. I Do not know why you want to wet a photo, But if you are wanting a floppy photo, why not do as I do do and print on linen

woodchip 09:47 02 Jun 2010

PS compatible inks are Water Based

Thomas71 10:08 02 Jun 2010

Thanks, I will need to use the original inks then. You get what you pay for is right also.

I am transferring my images to wood, print side down, when in place I need to remove the paper backing so the image can be seen from the reverse side. For this I need to make the paper damp to remove it.

jack 10:33 02 Jun 2010

T-shirt transfer is an 'Iron on' product
Might this not serve the transfer to wood?

click here

Also
click here

Thomas71 10:48 02 Jun 2010

I have done this with iron on transfer paper, but I need to be able to see the wood through and around some of the image. Even when cut close to the image iron on paper will leave a coating where any white is. By washing of the backing paper only the ink is left. And it's so thin you don't have any edges.

Covergirl 12:22 02 Jun 2010

. . . a reversed black & white photocopy (on plain paper) and turps. Probably works with colour laser prints too.

Slightly off subject sorry.

". . but no one will tell you what is in their ink . ."

How would anybody know unless they made up their own ink?

"People I know have done it with genuine Epson inks. I have been using compatible inks. But I don't get the same result!
So my question is, do the Epson compatible inks have the same water resistance as Epson durabrite inks?"

OBVIOUSLY NOT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?