Epson Perfection 2480 scanner photo not working

redeyenewby 11:10 06 Jul 2014

A while ago I was scanning 35mm slides using my Epson Perfection 2480 scanner. It was situated on a lower shelf of my PC console. To make it more convenient I lifted the scanner and placed it on a nearby work surface. I disconnected the cable from the scanner and, I put it down, re-connected the cable When I tried to scan the light worked but I got a black space where I should nave had the photographs. I assumed that I installed the cable the wrong way round but putting it in a different positionmade no difference. What ispossibly damaged and how can I put it right? It is a great scanner otherwise. Here's hoping. redeyenewby

spuds 11:32 06 Jul 2014

I doubt if its anything to do with the cable change, more likely when you moved the scanner, you may have dislodged something inside. Check the seating of the cartridges for a start.

Have you ran any test checks other than just trying to use the printer/scanner?.

Woolwell 13:11 06 Jul 2014

What cartridges? It is a scanner not an all-in-one.

I have an older model. Did you use the lock on the bottom before moving the scanner? Check that it is in the unlocked position.

Cable(s) connected but is the cable for the transparency unit connected?

Has the reflective document mat come loose or is it correctly in place?

Woolwell 19:04 06 Jul 2014

Still not working?

redeyenewby 15:25 07 Jul 2014

Hi, Woolwell, No, it is still not working. The main scanner works fine, it's the still/film strip that does not. The cable to the top is connected (is that the one you refer to as the transfer unit cable? It was lcked. I turned iot ovr to look and, then remembered the written instruction OT TO TURN IT OVER. I am wondering if that is the problem. What is it in the scanner which can cause malfunction of the top part just by turning it over? bsolutely screwball. Any other ideas, ? Anyone. Thanks for your interest. Cheers. redeyeneby P S Where cn you gat scanner spared? I'm wondering if the sensor? in the top part is malfunctioning.

Woolwell 16:40 07 Jul 2014

Check that cable again. Silly question probably but are you using Epson scan and have chosen document type film?

If it is broken then I doubt that it is a cost effective repair. You have to go to the Europe site of Epson to get any details at all.

Woolwell 16:47 07 Jul 2014

Epson Express Centres do repairs Epson Hope that the link works.

It may well be useful to use the Epson on-line chat found through Epson support and contact us.

spuds 17:07 07 Jul 2014

You may find that Epson use 'agents' for servicing and repairs. I would suggest that you check prices with the outlets within a certain radius from where you live, because I was once informed that prices charged are not always the same. The other point is that some outlets might do swap-outs or exchanges with cash adjustments on special offers, if you want to go that far?.

Woolwell 17:16 07 Jul 2014

Epson do use agents who are normally local computer repair shops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?