Epson Dot Matrix LQ-300 and win 8.1

zant 13:48 14 Jun 2015

I have an Epson Dot Matrix LQ-300 that only has parallel and Centronics connectors. Has anyone had positive experience of using this with Win 8.1? There are plenty of devices advertised on the Net, but the comments are many and varied. I have tried a plug in internal card, but despite its claims didn't work.

Ian in Northampton 14:04 14 Jun 2015

Good grief. Congratulations on being perhaps the last owner on earth of an LQ-300. I'd be interested to know why you've never upgraded?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:14 14 Jun 2015

Think I may have similar in the loft :0)

It was hard enough making it work on W98 and XP when the motherboards had parallel connectors and drivers where available.

You might be able to get it going via DOSbox and use it with some old DOS based programs but windows 8.1 ??? That's a challenge.

:0)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:19 14 Jun 2015

click here Vdos is the updated version of DOS box

Ian in Northampton 14:23 14 Jun 2015

You may do better trying something like this. For very little money, it may be worth experimenting with.

zant 15:50 14 Jun 2015

It has seen off 3 fancy inkjet machines and is still in daily use for normal e-mails and letters. Epson still keep a stock of cartridges so I can sit there while it chatters away like a Creed 7B teleprinter, all I requite is a green eyeshield and quill pen.

I am hoping someone will pop up that has used a converter gadget especially one with software built in.

Ian in Northampton 15:57 14 Jun 2015

Thinking about it, I recall at the departure gate at Stansted on Saturday, there was an old dot matrix printer on the desk. I guess the application that uses it has never been changed/updated - and, of course, if the application was designed to use the old computer listing paper with sprocket holes, a 'fancy inkjet' printer ain't gonna hack it. And: good for Epson if they still stock cartridges - that's impressive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 14 Jun 2015

As drivers still seem available click here can probably get it to work

you

rdave13 16:20 14 Jun 2015

Found this, second reviewer said it worked with a dot matrix printer. Best drivers from Epson, click here. Good thing about Win 8.1 it's very good at running programs in compatibility mode.

zant 16:55 14 Jun 2015

Dave, Thanks for the info, the printer driver was for a LQ-300+II which is a later model than the LQ-300, but I have one of those as well, so will give it a trial later in the week when I am a bit less busy. I checked the Epson driver info for LQ-300 but non was available, keeping fingers crossed for LQ-300+II. Alec.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 14 Jun 2015

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?