Epson Cartridges

Pine Man 16:57 07 Nov 2005

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 895 printer. The cartridges are expensive and I no longer print anything in colour but I still have to have a colour cartridge fitted which indicates that it has some ink in it before the printer will work.
My printing preferences are set to black only but ink is still taken from the colour cartridge everytime I switch it on and on the odd occasions that I have to clean the heads.

Does anybody know a way of fooling the printer into thinking it's got a colour cartridge in it or some alternative to paying for a colour cartridge that I don't want.

De Marcus™ 17:11 07 Nov 2005

Fill the colour cartridge with black ink?

MAJ 17:12 07 Nov 2005

£4.50 doesn't seem expensive for a colour cartridge, Pine Man. click here

Sans le Sou 17:13 07 Nov 2005
  Diemmess 17:25 07 Nov 2005

Sensible as it might be to fill the colour cartridge with black (notwithstanding getting more ink on your fingers than in the cartridge), the snag is the chip which needs resetting to pretend the cartridge is new!

Chip resetters are available, but once the colour is truly empty you run the risk of spoiling the print head.

Save up and buy a simple laser, they are relatively cheap, very good output quality, and put the 895 in a cupboard for occasional stunning photos

De Marcus™ 17:26 07 Nov 2005

"notwithstanding getting more ink on your fingers than in the cartridge"

Too true! :-)

pj123 17:27 07 Nov 2005

Unfortunately no, that's the way Epson printers work. I have an 895 and get all my ink from Choice Stationery, as MAJ says £4.50 from Choice is not expensive. In fact 1 black and 1 colour from choice is £6.99 including VAT and delivery.

click here

Bagsey 19:31 07 Nov 2005

Try click here Compatable cartridges for your printer cost 99p per cartridge. I find them good in my R300 printer

petecock 20:16 07 Nov 2005

i asked an epson engineer the very same question . even though you print in greyscale your printer still uses colour to sort of highlight the letters he said you can see this if you examine the print with a microscope

Sans le Sou 21:56 07 Nov 2005

£4.48 delivered
click here

spuds 22:09 07 Nov 2005

I buy my Epson compatibles from click here at less than 99pence each.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?