Epson C86 Paper feed / Jam

BigAl127 21:02 23 Feb 2006

I have an Epson C86 photo printer. When the first sheet is about 2/3rds of the way through, the next sheet in the paper tray starts to feed (overlap) with the 1st sheet, then comes up as a paper jam and stops.

I've checked for any loose bits of paper stuck in the rollers and I've checked all the settings, for paper types, size, downloaded the latest driver etc.

I've tried running the SSC Service utility, but although the C86 says it is supported, I get a message saying "For your printer model, reset counters are provided for special purposes only. Please use ink freezer functions instead". Which I have done.

Anyone got any more ideas, or is it a case of scrap it?

Thanks in advance

Pamy 22:18 23 Feb 2006

sounds like a mechanical problem with the sheet feeder. Has this only recently started to occur?

Do you fan the paper out before loading?

have you changed the paper weight that you are now using from a previous time?

BigAl127 22:41 23 Feb 2006

Printer has been stood unused for about a month. And the problem has started straight from use today.

Yes I fan the paper before use.

And no settings were changed from before, and i've also tried setting back to default settings and the problem still occurs.

Like yourself, i'm thinking it's a mechanical problem, and given the cost of a new printer, it's not worth spending alot getting it fixed.

Thanks for your suggestions.

skidzy 22:51 23 Feb 2006

Due to my experience's with printers,i shouldnt really comment on this...but i will

Firstly is the printer sitting level (makes a difference with mine)

I would like to think the roller/s may be out of line.

Ive had a printer do this to me before and had to bin the thing.

Peter 23:03 23 Feb 2006

Might be worth sending a sheet of light card (around 160 gsm) sprinkled with some isopropyl alcohol through the printer a few times to clean the rollers. You might need to help the card through a bit, but it's worth a try.

If this doesn't seem to improve matters try using a bit more alcohol, but don't over do it.

Peter.

BigAl127 07:52 24 Feb 2006

Yes, the printer is sitting level. You may be right about the rollers though.

Peter: I've got some printer cleaner spray (Not sure if it's isopropyl alcohol though), so i'll try that sprayed lightly on card, later today and see if that helps.

thjank you both for your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?