Epson 680 - Unable to communicate?

Taff36 09:04 23 Oct 2003

My friend has an Epson Stylus 680 which is about two years old and not regularly used. Nothing will print and the error message says something along the lines of unable to communicate with the printer, check connections etc. It is connected via cable (not USB).

I have tried printing via my laptop and although it recognises the printer it will not print a test page with the same message appearing. Now, The Epson software says that the black cartridge is empty. No - a new one was fitted yesterday. If the computer thinks the cartridge is empty would this cause the message and fail to print?

Inky 12:09 23 Oct 2003

My Epson Photo 750 won't print if a cartridge needs replacing.

Is there a light on the printer that says the cartridge needs replacing?

Did you remove all the tear off strips on the cartridge before installing it. I'm wondering if an electrical contact between the cartridge and printer has been lost.

Taff36 15:17 23 Oct 2003

Your first paragraph suggests what I suspected - If an ink cartridge is empty or appears to be empty the printer doesn`t work. Can anyone else confirm this?

The cartridges are installed OK but I`ve no way of checking the electrical connection.

MichelleC 15:22 23 Oct 2003

Just rub the contacts to clean them.

Taff36 08:30 27 Oct 2003

Thanks MichelleC - Looked closely at the contacts and noticed a small piece of plastic next to the nozzle. It had broken off the cartridge carriage and was preventing the black cartridge seating properly. Removed it and everything was fine.

Just goes to show that the error message was less than helpful in diagnosing the problem. Incidentally, the Epson software that informs you when your cartridge is empty also lies. If you remove a cartridge and then replace the same one the ink level returns to full - even if it`s empty! A right con to get you to replace half empty cartridges - Be Warned!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?