endless reboot in XP

FreddyNoFriends 16:02 16 Aug 2010

I left my desktop to do scheduled virus scans last night, as usual, and on trying to boot it up this morning, it gets as far as the Windows XP splash screen with the windows logo, etc, then instead of loading my wallpaper and desktop, etc, the screen goes a light blue and then after about three or four seconds the system reboots. Then it does it all over again, and again...
Have tried starting in last known good configuration, booting in safe mode, etc, etc, and it still only gets as far as the blue screen then reboots. So cant get into safe mode or any other mode.
I've opened the case, cleaned off the HD, checked the connections, etc, still the same.
I've even tried to boot from another old SATA HD i have, changing the boot menu accordingly, but it still does exactly the same thing.
I've also tried to do a repair of XP using my installation CD, but I dont get the repair option - just install over existing OS.

I'm now desperate - has anyone got any ideas please...?

rawprawn 16:46 16 Aug 2010

Repair Install?
click here

rawprawn 16:48 16 Aug 2010

Sorry, you have already tried.

gengiscant 16:57 16 Aug 2010

Can you use the spare HDD to install windows then slave your second drive to rescue your files etc?
I know its a pain but if you have all the neccessary disks and drivers to hand 2-3 hours is all it takes.
I had to do the wifes yesterday due to a HDD failure, but have down to a fine art now.

birdface 16:58 16 Aug 2010

cleaned off the HD.Did you also clean the fans and air vents.Did you make sure all the fans were running.
Sounds like its overheating

FreddyNoFriends 17:16 16 Aug 2010

Thanks for the replies. I cleaned everything i could get to including all the fans. The installed HD is running fine - at least it doesnt stop running between reboots - and I can mess around in the set up screens without any problem - it reboots at exactly the same point each time, leading me to think it's a windows error rather than simply overheating.
I'm thinking i'll probably just re-instal XP as I have everything backed up anyway - unless anyone has any other suggestions...?

VoG II 17:18 16 Aug 2010

Make sure that you follow the instructions in rawprawn's link to attempt a repair install.

FreddyNoFriends 17:26 16 Aug 2010

Hi VoG. Have done that - keeping my fingers crossed...

FreddyNoFriends 17:28 16 Aug 2010

Never got the option to use "R" to repair...

FreddyNoFriends 17:50 16 Aug 2010

Looks like it's a full reinstal. Never mind.
Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017