End Of file prefixed Torrent

prince midas 15:09 05 Nov 2004

I downloaded a file of 33mb but when it started to download it put a small file of about 3kb in my download folder prefixed at the end with torrent.

I was unable to do anything with this file & when i checked on the internet i was told it chopped a file up into maybe a 100 small files to quicken on downloads.

Flashget my downloader could not do anything with it and i wonder if my firewall is stopping this small file from downloading.
Also how do i put all these small file back into one large 33mb file if i do manage to download it.

fuzzynavel 16:28 05 Nov 2004

The simple answer is that flashget is your problem.....it doesn't download torrents....
basically the file you downloaded is supposed to be small...it basically gives detail for a tracker that lists where the torrent seeds are.....i.e that file you downloaded acts as a pointer for specific software to find all the parts of the main file that you want....
i.e you need to open that file with a program such as Azureus or shareaza or bitorrent or similar....search google for them...all shareware/freeware/open source

they will then be able to download that file for you

be aware that a lot of the files (not all)on the torrent network are copyrighted material and could lead to trouble.....just have to let you know..

leo49 16:29 05 Nov 2004

I suggest you read up on torrents:

click here

Essentially you need torrent client software - of which there are many to choose from - Bittorrent is as good as any.

What you've downloaded is the 'signpost' to the 33mb file.

Once installed you doubleclick the .torrent file[which contains the location/file identity info] to connect to the tracker,you complete the dialog for where you wish to save the target file on your PC and the download/upload process should begin.When complete the is whole and useable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?