Encyclopedia Instalation problem

Maurice9735 20:42 05 Jan 2007

I was pleased to recieve the ENC/BRITannia 2006.
I installed it & it worked.Then I uninstalled it
thiking that I had caused a loss of 3oGB from my hand drive through my ignorance of PCs.I discovered, not connected, Where the 30GIG had gone.
Now for my latest problem,on re-installing ENC/BRIT I have been unable to opperate it.
The interface comes up & I can select from the three menu choices, I can enter a subject The radio buttons appear with number of articles,
Number of images&numbber of vidio clips But no
search results.I hve done something terrible BUT WHAT? I have done a lot of PC Housework trying
to increase the speed of e-mails & of the computer,But I must have thown the baby out with the bath water Once again I need yor help.

ANYBODY!!!

Maurice9735

STREETWORK 20:49 05 Jan 2007

If its win XP use the system restore to go back to a time before the house work...

juno444444 00:10 06 Jan 2007

Well this is not going to be super-helpful but I can only say I have the Britannica 2004 and have uninstalled and reinstalleed and no problem. Maybe there is another program in conflict? Did you make any other changes to your computer meanwhile? Is there a system restore point to revert to? What anti-virus do you have? Otherwise maybe you should contact support for Britannica... Oh. One other thing, did you do a Registry Cleanup after you uninstalled?

Maurice9735 15:31 06 Jan 2007

Thankyou for your interest.
Part of my housework was a system restore clean-up this left me with no suitable restore points,
but I did find my nissing 30 GB hard drive.
Is there a way of re-establishing an earlier
Restore point

Maurice9735

Maurice9735 15:47 06 Jan 2007

Thankyou for your interest.

Encylobedia Britannica HELP

I checked the list of previous problems but could find nothing that could help me.
I could not find an e-mail address to contact
ror support.

I didn't do a registry clean-up,( dont know how)
and am affraid of anolher Baby & Bathwater situation.
Is it too late to do one now? With help of course. IDIOTS GUIDE would be required

Maurice9735

Maurice9735 15:56 06 Jan 2007

Oh I forgot.
I dont know of any conficting programs I have tried using the encyclobedia with just my MGNIFIER running alongside.

Maurice9735

€dstowe 06:45 07 Jan 2007

Not an answer to your immediate problem but, to help prevent such happenings in the future you should keep a full backup of your system, preferably on a separate (external?) hard drive.

There is a lot of information on this forum - some of it from myself - which you might want to look at via the Search facility.

johndrew 15:18 07 Jan 2007

I had a problem with Britannica and contacted their Technical Support. This is the reply I received which worked perfectly; it also includes a contact for them. Hope it helps.

`Thank you for your e-mail.

The restoring of the system will have caused some damage to some of the Britannica files. In order to resolve this you will need to do the following.

1. Delete the folder .webrenderer from the folder /Documents and Settings/<USER> where <USER> is the name for the login that you use for Windows.

2. Uninstall Britannica.

Please ensure that this is done through Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

3. Delete the Britannica folder that has been created.

In order to do this just locate the Britannica folder and delete it manually. The Britannica folder is normally located in c:\Program Files unless you have specified an alternate location to install this too.

4. Stop all unnecessary tasks and processes.

In order to do this please do the following.

- Click on Start

- Select Run

- Enter msconfig in the Open window and then click on Ok

- Select the Selective Startup option on the General tab

- Deselect Load System Services

- Deselect Load Startup Items

- Click on Apply and then Ok.

The computer will then need to be restarted. Once this has been done the system will start up with only Windows itself running. No other applications or processes should be running.

5. Attempt to reinstall Britannica again.

6. Repeat step 4 and select Normal Startup again.

If you can include any previous message history in your reply it will speed up the time it takes to reply.

I hope that this is of some help to you. If you require further assistance with this then please do not hesitate to contact us on 0906 751 0101 (calls to this number are charged at 75p per minute) or 0044 117 976 0260 for customers outside the UK. The solution to problems can also be found on the Britannica Technical Support website (click here).

Kind regards

Britannica Technical Support`

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?