Encryption of Outlook Express e-Mail Text

buckland 18:01 21 May 2008

The Government is now ploughing ahead building Data Banks of each of us from our Medical Records to our e-Mails. Is there a simple method of encrypting the text of an Outlook Express e-Mail with the recipient provided with the necessary to recognise an encrypted message from me and decrypt it whilst in the In-Box (perhaps by a Password). Thank you. Buckland.

Ditch999 18:34 21 May 2008

Search for PGP encryption. You need to set up an account with both sender and receiver. If its a simple text email then Steganos Locknote can encrypt it and then attach it to the email.

rawprawn 19:13 21 May 2008

Whilst I agree with your principle,do you think that it is necessary to encrypt your emails?, and if so do you think that the powers that be can not decrypyt anything you can do.Also wouldn't an encrypted email attract more attention than an open email?

buckland 15:46 25 May 2008

Many thanks Ditch999 - your reference opened up many possibilities. Also thanks to Rawprawn who also confirms the reason for my reluctance to find myself on the NHS Data Bank, in fact any Government "controlled" Data Bank and in particular any EU administered Data Bank. However encryption should make it that much more difficult for the snoopers and gives me a little security. I have nothing to hide but the faceless ones already have my National Health Number, Passport number, Driving Licence Number, National Insurance Number, Service Number, Council Tax Reference Number, etc. But unless I were an MI5/MI6 suspect then leave my e-mails alone. Thanks again to all. Buckland.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?