Encryption code

diesel1948 19:10 11 Jan 2006

My son bought a Wireless-G game adaptor from Linksys and has had massive trouble trying to set it up. We have had to phone Linksys but they want all the settings of our router, because thats where it will run through. We have got most of them by typing in a number and getting them from a web site. The thing we cant get or find is the encryption code, can anyone help us get it or know where we can get it from. The ADSL modem with built in router we are using is from Belkin F5D7630uk4A, we try and ring them but so busy. Anyone help?

TomG 19:48 11 Jan 2006

Do you mean the wep key? You enable that yourself, there should be a manual on the disk that came with the router that will explain what to do. Once set it will encrypt your network to deter a neighbour piggybacking onto your broadband connection.

Chegs ®™ 19:56 11 Jan 2006

click here

Any help?

diesel1948 20:55 11 Jan 2006

Thanks Tom G and Chegs. We have already set up a wep key but have misplaced the paperwork with it on. How could we retrieve it? Or does it mean uninstalling the whole job and starting again. Please advise.

Chegs ®™ 21:01 11 Jan 2006

There will be a reset button on the router,then all you need to do is input the various cfg settings again(slightly easier than reinstalling)

diesel1948 22:08 11 Jan 2006

Sorry mate but I have to ask you what the cfg settings are, also I dont see a reset button on router.

diesel1948 22:11 11 Jan 2006

do you mean a reset button on the web page?

VoG II 22:15 11 Jan 2006

Tiny hole on the back of my Belkin router labelled 'Reset'.

diesel1948 22:51 11 Jan 2006

Vog, found the reset button/hole and the problem has been sorted. I now have new encryption code and all is well. Thank you to all.

Chegs ®™ 22:59 11 Jan 2006

As VoG says,there will be a tiny hole on your router to reset factory settings,then you need to cfg(configure)the various router settings again(probably via a webpage)On one of my routers,I have an idiot-proof app on the driver CD that I can run and it resets the various options on the router,including my username/password to connect to my ISP,all I have to do is tick boxes and click the "next" button until it asks for the username,etc.

Chegs ®™ 23:00 11 Jan 2006

Typical,I spend ages drafting a reply and the problems sorted before I've finished. ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?