enabling security on router via ethernet cable

joosull 18:04 01 Mar 2010

Hi

I can not download a driver for my Micronet sp907gk, as there is not one for Windows 7. I am trying to make my network secure by connecting to the router with an ethernet cable and can access the admin page. however, once there, I can not work out how to enable the security. I have downloaded the manual but it only explains how to do it by using the driver. is it possible to enable the security without the driver and if so how do I do it? thank you.

BurrWalnut 19:25 01 Mar 2010

When you have connected to the router setup, look for a section named wireless settings or similar wording. Now look for an SSID (network name) and change/create its associated Security Key.

joosull 20:41 01 Mar 2010

thank you. when I tried that my laptop was no longer able to connect to my wifi. the message in the box showing all the nearby networks showed mine with a big red cross next to it and a message saying something like the settings on the computer were not compatible with the network, or something similar.

BurrWalnut 07:00 02 Mar 2010

Obviously, if you change the SSID and/or the Key you will have to change the connection details in all wireless computers.

joosull 09:28 03 Mar 2010

well, you'd think wouldn't you? I tried, then a friend with considerably more IT knowledge than me tried, for hours. I my laptop with Windows 7 and my old router don't seem to want to connect with each other. time for a new router! thaks though.

joosull 18:46 05 Mar 2010

resolved by buying a new router. thank you. old one not compatible with window's 7 it seems.

BurrWalnut 19:33 05 Mar 2010

I'm glad you sorted it out and thank you for posting back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone