Enabling Network Security

Seadog 08:25 07 Oct 2005

I have a cable modem which is connected to a Belkin wireless router. Through this myself and family run two PC's and occasionally two laptops to access the internet. No computer is connected by wire to the router, it is all wireless.
All computers can access the internet ok but not each other, not that I need that function mind you.
My problem is that when I try to enable security, i.e. WPA-PSk I enter a "key" or password and activate it, when I come to try to connect and the router asks for the key, if I type in the password or "key" I entered I get the error "the key has to be in ascii or hexadecimal characters" coming up and I cant connect to the router. This same thing happens no-matter which type of security I try to use.
Any of you bright people got any ideas -please.

Seadog 15:50 08 Oct 2005

C'mon guys someone must have an idea!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 08 Oct 2005

try typing in a key only using the 0 to 9 and A to F characters

Seadog 16:55 08 Oct 2005

Thanks fruit Bat, but no good,I tried abc12345 but still get the same error message " the network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bitsdepending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters" so I don't know what is going wrong or rather what I am doing wrong!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:07 08 Oct 2005

enter only 5 characters such as

seado

Seadog 20:05 08 Oct 2005

Thanks Fruit Bat, I've just solved it.
What was needed was figures like 1a.er.45.t6.0e (thats ten digits) I went to the belkin web site and found out -- then entered something similar to above as the "key" the only difference is that when you enter the password key to connect, you don't put the dots in!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires