Enable windows XP to install programmes

tesfred 15:53 26 Sep 2009

Does anyone know how to enable Windows XP toinstall programmes for earlier editions of Windows. I have Band in a Box which installed and ran quite well in Windows Millenium, but will not install on my Windows XP Home with service pack 3 installed. I was told by someone that you could tell Windows to allow earlier versions of programmes to run under Millenium.Any ideas please?

Technotiger 16:02 26 Sep 2009

Once installed, it is sometimes possible to get programs to run, by right-clicking on the programs icon and choosing to run it in Compatibility Mode. Doesn't work for all older programs though.

Technotiger 16:06 26 Sep 2009

Or, perhaps you could upgrade yours, click here

I have never used Band in a Box, so can't offer any detailed help.

tesfred 16:12 26 Sep 2009

Technotiger, good advice but problem is Windows will not let me install it, says programme not compatable with XP? Any ideas please?

Technotiger 16:25 26 Sep 2009

This is an expansion on what I have already mentioned ...

click here

... but you might need to buy a compatible version.

You could try installing it in Safe Mode, (though I don't really know if this would be possible) then if successful, try running it in Compatibility mode.

sharpamat 16:54 26 Sep 2009

Put your program disc in the DVD/CD drive. Then open the Compatibility mode wizard. Select Disc in drive and follow the prompts.If you get the option to run as adminstrater tick it dont bother with screen settings. It normally works

tesfred 17:03 26 Sep 2009

Thanks sharpamat, but how doI get to the Compatibility Mode Wizard please?

Sea Urchin 17:09 26 Sep 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?