Enable or disable 3rd party cookies

thumbscrew 18:48 29 Mar 2015

Third party cookies seem to be enabled by default in Firefox, can I have peoples thoughts about whether or not they should be disabled?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 29 Mar 2015

Some sites will not work at all if cookies are disable

personally I just clean them all out at the end of each session with ccleaner ( you can set it to leave certain ones to save you having to log in every time)

thumbscrew 19:20 29 Mar 2015

Yes, thanks Fruit Bat, just discovered that I can only post replies on Youtube in FF if they're enabled.

wee eddie 21:26 29 Mar 2015

I have a CCLEANER clear out once a week

thumbscrew 21:31 29 Mar 2015

Me too Eddie, what's your take on disabling?

wee eddie 22:49 29 Mar 2015

I have all Cookies enabled.

The only time I have had a problem was just after I had been searching for some sex toys on eBay and Amazon and some XRated Advertising appeared here and a couple of other places I visited.

Secret-Squirrel 08:37 30 Mar 2015

"Some sites will not work at all if cookies are disable"

That's certainly true about first-party cookies but I've been blocking third-party ones in my browsers for at least a decade and have never encountered any website that failed to work.

Some folks don't want tracking and other nuisance cookies (that can see where they've been, what they've been up to and for how long) from entering their browsers in the first place and blocking third-party ones is an effective solution.

"........... just discovered that I can only post replies on Youtube in FF if they're enabled."

Thumbscrew, that's certainly true for that feature on YouTube but you can still have third-party cookies blocked and be able to post replies in Firefox by going to Options -> Privacy -> "Exceptions" button. Add in apis.google.com and set it to "Allow for Session".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?