empty web page

oak chip 19:08 22 Nov 2005

I am trying to access an American web site - click here - I used to be able to access this site, but suddenly I only get a blank page when I try to access this site. My web browser - I.E. 6 running under XP SP2 - accesses all other sites OK. I have tried altering settings on Firewall (Norton 2004) and Norton System Works (2006 - recently installed, but I am sure I have accessed the site since this was installed) - The web browser seems to take quite a few seconds accessing the site - the green progress bar fills very slowly - then the legend "Done" appears at the bottom left of the screen but he screen is a pure blank white! Any ideas or help gratefully received. (The site itself is OK as I have accessed this from work - but cannot really use it at work!!)

VoG II 22:03 22 Nov 2005

Check your hosts file

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

oak chip 22:22 22 Nov 2005

VoG - Thanks for your reply - but what am I looking for? - I have tried opening the file you indicated by using Notepad - but it just gives me an idea of what entries should look like - it does not give a list of entries, or any idea of what I should do to alter/edit entries

VoG II 22:25 22 Nov 2005

Rename it to hosts.txt and resrart your PC.

oak chip 23:36 22 Nov 2005

Sorry VoG - there has been no difference to the result! (I am off to bed now - back on the web after work tomorrow!) Thanks for reading my posting!!

oak chip 18:28 24 Nov 2005

VoG - I don't know if the computer needed "time off" to reslove the issue with your help - but I can now access the site. I did two other things as well - added the site to my "trusted site" list and allowed pop-ups on the site. Thanks for your help anyway - all replies are always most appreciated!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017