Emergency XP disk

johnincrete 17:09 05 May 2009

How do I create a CD to be used to boot the PC when there is a problem?
Then, of course, how do I tell the PC to use it!!!

Pamy 17:21 05 May 2009

how about this click here

Pineman100 17:54 05 May 2009

Have you got a proper Windows XP disk? If so, you can boot from that without the need for anything else.

johnincrete 05:41 06 May 2009

I didn't expect it to be that easy!!
I do not allow ANY software on my PC that is not properly bought & registered & I have the CD that I was given when I had to have XP re-installed (the first re-install became invalid cus it was from some sort of free version that the shop used & they did not tell me that I needed to register & pay for it). Since I now live in Crete, it was expensive to buy the English version.
I know Microsoft can validate the installed software but is there any way I can make sure the CD I have is OK - the attitude to copying CD's, both software & music here is reflected in the many stalls in regular markets.

Pineman100 09:48 06 May 2009

"...is there any way I can make sure the CD I have is OK"

Is it a proper Microsoft XP CD, carrying the Microsoft Windows logo imprinted on it? There are several slightly different desings, but it will look something like this: click here Your computer will boot from this CD and enable you to reinstall Windows XP. You may need to go into the BIOS first and set your CD/DVD drive as the first boot option.

Your Windows XP product key, which you will need for the reinstallation, should be on a sticker attached somewhere to the casing of your computer.

johndrew 10:07 06 May 2009

Another option would be to create an Ultimate Boot CD click here or click here it`s free and you have the option of making a Windows or Linux version with all the tools you may ever want.

johndrew 10:13 06 May 2009

If you want a visual aid of how to build the CD click here

lotvic 10:38 06 May 2009

you are allowed legally to make your own copy of XP CD. It is the licence (product) key that is illegal to use on more than one computer.

You can slipstream your XP cd with SP3 so that you have an up to date version to boot from.

Just put 'slipstream' in the Search forum box at top of this thread to read how others have done this

johnincrete 17:22 06 May 2009

What is slipstream?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 06 May 2009

slip stream is a means of combining the original XP CD with the latest update like SP3 and the relevant drivers for your machine all onto one disk.

The best program to do this is nlite click here

woodchip 18:11 06 May 2009

Hears How

First format a Floppy disc in XP

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc.

Then copy NTLDR back from floppy to the root of the drive.

Long Live the Floppy!

You can do the same on a CD make a bootable CD with NERO and burn the files to It.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?