EMERGENCY

wrfc_rabbit 23:01 12 Mar 2006

hi has anyony got any software or know of any free software to trace mobile phones??? mines been stolen and i need it back it has all my work files on it and everything.

SG Atlantis® 23:13 12 Mar 2006
  spuds 23:51 12 Mar 2006

Now that it as been stolen,and possibly reported as such, your service provider should be in the position to trace any further contacts from your lost phone. Remember that a change of sim card will rule this trace out, and in the main,it would be a police arrangement that could bring possible success.

Forum Editor 23:53 12 Mar 2006

that you'll find on the internet all require the consent of the phone user (not owner). What happens is that a text message is sent to the number being tracked, asking for consent to the tracking. This is repeated at frequent intervals, and unless the user responds with a 'yes' message the tracking is illegal, and won't happen.

Your phone provider can track the phone of course, but their first response to a theft report is to disable the SIM card and the handset, which isn't going to help you at all.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but your chances of seeing the phone again are virtually nil. Once the thief realises the SIM has been disabled it will be tossed into the nearest drain or bin.

007al 00:00 13 Mar 2006

Sorry to hear that!
I had one stolen.He even answered when i rang it.I offered to pay to get it back,and he laughed,which enraged me even further.It had a portfolio of work photos and photos of my kids.Its a cpmpletely gutting feeling i know.
As the FE says,once the sim is disabled its gone.

pifko 03:04 13 Mar 2006

This is why I dont like these new hones which have the ability to store 1GB+ worth of data on them, and you know business types are going to use them for work documents. Remember to back-up your files.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:40 13 Mar 2006

SIM storage readers cost less than a tenner. They will save all your details and if the phone is stolen just insert a new Sim card (Free usually if you get a PAYG or 99p at worst) and copy all the info onto the new SIM) No one can complain if they have not backed up their 'important' info if they have not spent a tenner.

G

baldtaco 10:50 13 Mar 2006

cold but true

007al 15:39 13 Mar 2006

Not when a phone stores pictures to memory and not a sim card!

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:09 13 Mar 2006

You can save pictures to a computer with a cheap sync. cable that can be purchased for less than £5 on Ebay. For a tenner you could have both items and would not lose any valuable pictures or phone nos. Cold but true.

G

007al 16:56 13 Mar 2006

I have USB cables for a Nokia,Motorola and Sagem.
If you can tell me the easiest way to get the pictures from them,i would be greatful.
I can get all text messages and contacts,but i cant get the pictures from any of the phones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone