Embolden a number of headings automatically?

1936 14:14 07 Jul 2005

I have a 400 page document with 6 headings on each page that were Bold and now they have gone back to normal text.
I think rather than know that it is possible to do something that will automatically make all those headings Bold but I do not know how to do it. Can anyone help?

VoG II 14:55 07 Jul 2005

Is this a Word document?

1936 15:07 07 Jul 2005

Yes. Microsoft Word 2002

VoG II 15:12 07 Jul 2005

If the bold was set by using a Style (like Heading1) then if you make the heading bold again, then select Heading1 from the Style box, you should get a prompt to reapply the style or to update the style. If you select Update and tick the option to automatically apply from now on, they should be made bold automatically.

If the headings were bolded "by hand" I can't think of a simple method of changing them all back.

Taff36 17:05 07 Jul 2005

Are they identical headings by any chance or do they vary page by page?

If any line is common try Find and Replace. (CTRL+H) Type in the Common Line and replicate it in the replace with box. Highlight the text in the replace with box, press the more button on the bottom and then the format button and text. Put in the desired font, size and select bold. Go replace all and see what happens. Hopefully you will have sufficient common lines to automate most of the job.

Another good one is using the format Painter tool. The icon that looks like a paintbrush. Select a piece of text that is formatted the way you want it. i.e.bold, in the correct font and size. Double click the icon. Go to the top of the next page using the shortcut keys CTRL+Page Down key. Using your cursor as a pointer at the left of the page select the six lines you want by clicking or dragging the cursor arrow downwards - go to next page and repeat. This takes a bit of practice but speeds it up if you have to do it manually.

Taff36 17:10 07 Jul 2005

By the way if after doing the first suggestion you find that the CTRL+Page down doesn`t work - it`s a known problem! Close word and restart it and do the second suggestion first!

1936 21:37 07 Jul 2005

Many thanks for your help. I cracked it with CTL+F and it gave me a great deal of satisfaction in beeing able to do it.

Taff36 21:40 07 Jul 2005

CTRL+F ?? Did you mean that?

1936 23:32 07 Jul 2005

Yes, if you click onto CTL + F a box marked “Find and replace” comes up with headings “Find” “Replace” and Go To”. Running along the top of the box. “Find, Find what and “Replace with” run down the left hand side of the box..
I keyed in the first of the headings that I wanted made Bold , (“Address”) in “Find what and keyed in “Address” again but emboldened and then clicked “Replace all”. The only problem is that already I have forgotten how I made the “Replace with” line bold but I did and I managed to embolden all the headings. Perhaps someone will remind me how I did the last bit.

Taff36 07:48 08 Jul 2005

Sorry - I understand now. It`s exactly the same as the method I described earlier, you just get there a little differently, so the answer is above! Well done!

Taff36 15:16 09 Jul 2005

Tick for resolved then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?