Embedded code on a music CD

Clapton is God 11:17 26 Apr 2009

My elder daughter's boyfriend (Dudley Ross - free plug!!) has just released his debut album on CD.

When I play a music CD in Windows Media Player and I'm online, the CD info (album title, track titles, etc) usually appears in Media Player.

Unfortunately, this doesn't happen for Dudley's album.

Just out of interest, what needs to happen for that info to appear in Media Player?

Does there have to be 'code' embedded on the CD itself or at a particular website?

AndySD 11:35 26 Apr 2009

I believe it needs to be registered at AMG click here

mooly 11:44 26 Apr 2009

Good question. There is no embedded code of any kind on a music CD. The system works by looking at such things as total playing time, no of tracks, track length and so on and all that info together makes each CD pretty unique. A data base contains that info, and media player just looks for a match.
An interesting true story... years after the death of a famous classical pianist, recordings appeared claiming to be of unreleased material. All was well untill Windows media player came along and these discs were being identified as obscure (but known) recordings by other artists. A case of being caught out by technology.

Clapton is God 11:46 26 Apr 2009

Thanks for that.

I did a search for Dudley (and his album) and both of them are already on the AMG database!

Clapton is God 11:49 26 Apr 2009

"A data base contains that info"

Which database??

Stuartli 14:13 26 Apr 2009

In WMP11, whilst a CD is playing, normally if you go to Library>click on Now Playing>right click on the album cover illustration, you can find the track listings and Save them once found via the Internet.

Clapton is God 14:55 26 Apr 2009

Tried that already.

Unfortunately, WMP doesn't even display the album cover illustration, never mind the track listings! ;-((

mooly 19:45 26 Apr 2009

Which data base. I dunno ! That's how it works though, media player goes online to identify the disc from the track timings and so on. Some have the artwork some not I find.

grey george 20:27 26 Apr 2009

Roxio uses CDDB more info. click here
I think media player may also use it. It is part of Gracenote: click here
I don't know how they get their info but an email to them may yield results.

Clapton is God 11:31 27 Apr 2009

Thanks I'll look into that.

I'm off to Dudley's album launch gig at the Gulbenkian Theatre in Canterbury tonight.

As a guitarist he may, just may, be even better than Mr Clapton (but don't tell Dudley that!). ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017