Emails taking time to send!

gazmix 16:02 31 Mar 2008

Hi
I used to send all my emails straight from my Outlook Express, or when i used IE, i'd click on the 'envelope' icon.
For some reason the latest version of Firefox hasn't the option of writing a new mail, unless i right click on a webpage, click on 'send link', delete the link & write my mail!!

However when i do this, the rectangular, thin 'connecting' box shows & it can take up to 45 seconds for the green line to appear & it connects & says sent!
If i send from OE, it goes straight away!
Does anyone have a clue why this happens & why FF doesn't have a 'send mail' option, i'm sure it used to!

Cheers

Gaz

DieSse 17:07 31 Mar 2008

"For some reason the latest version of Firefox hasn't the option of writing a new mail...."

It certainly has (I'm using Firefix3 beta4)- I use it frequently, and it works fine.

Check in Outlook Express - Tools - Options that Outlook Express is the default Mail Program (bottom of initial window)

gazmix 09:54 02 Apr 2008

Where then is the option to send mail in Firefox?
There is no envelope icon! i recently got prompted to update FF & did, but i haven't been able to create mail for ages!!

In OE>Tools>Options & the 'general' tab, at the bottom, the 'Default messaging programme' for mail & news, the tabs for 'make default' are greyed out!!!

DieSse 10:17 02 Apr 2008

Firefox is not an email client. It doesn't send emails itself.

I presumed you meant if you click on an email address when using Firefox - such as by clicking on the envelope next to our names.

Where was the envelope icon you're talking about? I haven't got one in Firefox (and I don't remember one actually).

I think your issue may be the greyed out Default Mail tab in Outlook Express. Have a look here

click here

and try going through the procedure to set OE as the default.

gazmix 22:45 02 Apr 2008

No, i know FF isn't an email client!
In Internet Explorer, there is an option to create an email via the envelope icon! Which opens Outlook Express & i can write a mail.

In FF, there isn't this option!
Yes, if i click a link to send a email, BBC for example, an email window opens! But you said you can access an email (Outlook Express address), via an icon in Firefox, but i can't see anything like this!

If i open IE, i can click on the envelope, click 'new message' & i get the message window!!!
Where in FF is this available?

The slow mail issue link you sent is Internet Explorer based! Not Firefox!

Cheers

Gaz

lotvic 23:47 02 Apr 2008

According to click here
If you want to add the Outlook Express shortcut button to the toolbar you can install a nifty Firefox plug-in called Get Mail.

lotvic 23:57 02 Apr 2008

ps: it might not work in FF2 it would be best to check on Mozilla site

click here

DieSse 01:15 03 Apr 2008

"But you said you can access an email (Outlook Express address), via an icon in Firefox, but i can't see anything like this!"

No, as I said, I thought you meant something different. Firefox doesn't have that unless you use an add-on, that's why I asked where you thought it was.

Misunderstandings are not difficult at times, we were talking about different things - still, the link lotvic gave you should help.

gazmix 11:27 03 Apr 2008

i'll have a look at the link!

What about the greyed out default settings in OE>tools>options?

i looked in internet options>programmes & it says email & newsgroups is Outlook Express.

It seems to send them ok straight from OE when OE is open, but when i right click on a webpage & click on 'send link', i type in the email address & send & it takes ages, 20-30 secs!!

thanks

lotvic 22:44 03 Apr 2008

""What about the greyed out default settings in OE>tools>options? ""
""i looked in internet options>programmes & it says email & newsgroups is Outlook Express.""

this would indicate that OE is already set as the default

In OE the full wording at the bottom of Tools > Options should read:

Default Messaging Programs
This application is the default Mail handler [greyed box 'Make Default']
This application is the default News handler [greyed box 'Make Default']

- Don't ask me about the email delay issue because I don't know the answer.

gazmix 12:10 05 Apr 2008

cheers lotvic, i guess the slow email sending can't be helped then!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?