e.mails returned - but I never sent them

Newuser1068 19:14 08 Sep 2003

for the past three days I have received upto 30 "returned" e.mails, with various messages as to why they were not delivered and from a huge variety of service providers. The problem is that not only have I never heard of any of them, I never sent them in the first place !! Those that purport to show the original message actually show a load of giberish. What have I done to deserve this?

Jester2K II 19:17 08 Sep 2003

Someone probably has a virus that is sending out e-mail using your e-mail address as the return address so you get the messages when they are returned.

Delete them and ignore - increasingly common.

Switcher 19:19 08 Sep 2003

you may have a virus which is sending out emails unknown to you

Newuser4165 19:21 08 Sep 2003

Don't whatever you do open any of them -you'll be asking for trouble .
It may be a virus such as Sobig32F or an attempt to verify genuine email addresses which can be spammed.

Audeal 19:45 08 Sep 2003

I am with Freeserve and I had over 900 of these returned e-mails a few weeks ago. This went on for about two weeks and was choking up my system and taking me about two hours to get rid of them, only to get them back again within twenty four hours. I contacted Freeserve and they cleared them out and I have not had any more since. Try contacting your ISP to see if they can help you out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?