Emails in Preview pane question

Enoch 08:44 24 Nov 2006

I am a little mixed up. I am under the impression that with dodgy emails received, that, as long as you do not click on the attachment, no nasties will be downloaded onto ones PC. Therefore I understood that seeing the message in the pre-view pane is not dangerous.

However on other posts to this forum I keep seeing that "One should always have the Preview Pane in Outlook Express PERMANENTLY disabled"

Has anybody got a definative answer for me??

cowgirl66 08:48 24 Nov 2006

I keep mine disabled, Enoch, because I don't like the fact that OE always opens the last email for you if you have your preview pane open. That is an extra security measure to not opening attachments that carry viruses.

Maybe I'm too careful but it suits me just fine.

Technotiger 08:54 24 Nov 2006

Hi, keeping the Preview Pane permanently disabled is a valuable security measure!

Cheers

Gongoozler 09:05 24 Nov 2006

An email in html can, when opened in the preview pane, cause an infected attachment to automatically execute it's code.
click here
click here

Enoch 09:14 24 Nov 2006

Cowgirl66----What difference if the OE opens the last email, if you do not click on the attachment?

Technotiger----yes, but again, why if you do not click the attachment?

I am not trying to be awkward in this reply, I am trying to understand the logic.

Enoch 09:16 24 Nov 2006

Gongoozler-----well, that certainly answered my question

Thanks

Enoch 09:19 24 Nov 2006

Gongoozler----Am I right then, if the preview pane is off, the only way now to read the email is to click on the link and then see the email in email form.

Gongoozler 09:32 24 Nov 2006

I use Mozilla Thunderbird, but when I used Outlook Express, if I was suspicious about an email I would select it, right click, select "Properties" - Details - Message Source. This would display the message in purely text form and so not execute any html code.

Stuartli 09:42 24 Nov 2006

It's me that proffered the advice about PERMANENTLY disabling OE's Preview Pane for the reasons stated and, in fact, I've done so on numerous occasions.

As Technotiger adds, it's a valuable security measure and safeguard but, obviously, as with anything not completely infallible.

Carafaraday 09:44 24 Nov 2006

As a belt and braces approach I also have Tools, options, read - read in plain text. If, once I have opened a message I want to see it in HTML, I use view, view as HTML.

Enoch 12:49 24 Nov 2006

Thanks guys !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?